Calculus II - Approximating Functions With Polynomials

In summary, if you're given something like this for a problem, you can approximate the given quantities using Taylor polynomials with n=3.
GreenPrint
Hi,

If I'm given something like this for a problem,

Approximate the given quantities using Taylor polynomials with n=3
sqrt(101)

how do I know what I should set f(x) equal to? I could set it to many different things, sqrt(x), sqrt(x+100), sqrt(x+50). My answer would be very different depending on what I set f(x) equal to. Like if I used f(x)=sqrt(x) and I centered it at x=0 I'm going to get zero for the derivatives, f(x)' = 1/(2sqrt(x)), and this is going to make p3(x) a different function had I used f(x)=sqrt(x+100) instead.

So I take it I can use what ever I want for f(x) on such a problem and my grader will just have to check everyone's paper with a fine tooth comb because people you can use a infinite amount of functions to set f(x) equal to?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, you would want to center your series at 100 because this is an easy value to take radicals of (after successive derivatives are taken). So your original function could be the square root of x and you simply center the series at 100. This is one way to do it and would ensure proper approximation near 100.

You would essentially be doing the same thing if you used the square root of (x + 100) with the series being centered at 0. Choose whatever is easiest to look at.

If you used [itex]f(x) = \sqrt{x}[/itex], the derivatives wouldn't exist at x=0.

You're right that there's not a unique way to solve the problem because you have some freedom in choosing f(x), but usually a good choice is fairly obvious.

To approximate a square root, you want to eventually get a factor that looks like [itex](1+x)^{1/2}[/itex], and it's this factor you'll approximate with the Taylor polynomial. One restriction you must meet is |x|<1 otherwise the series won't converge. For example, say you want to calculate [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex]. You could do [tex]\sqrt{10} = \sqrt{9 + 1} = \sqrt{9}\sqrt{(1+1/9)}[/tex]Then you'd approximate the second square root using the polynomial. Similarly, you could also say[tex]\sqrt{10} = \sqrt{8 + 2} = \sqrt{8}\sqrt{(1+2/8)}[/tex]Both ways would work, but the first one is easier to calculate since you know the square root of 9 is 3. What you can't do is say[tex]\sqrt{10} = \sqrt{4+6} = \sqrt{4}\sqrt{1+6/4}[/tex] and then expand the second radical as a series because 6/4 is greater than 1.

Related to Calculus II - Approximating Functions With Polynomials

1. What is the purpose of approximating functions with polynomials in Calculus II?

The purpose of approximating functions with polynomials in Calculus II is to simplify complex functions into a more manageable form. This allows for easier calculation and analysis of the function, making it easier to understand and apply in real-world situations.

2. How is the process of approximating functions with polynomials different from finding derivatives?

The process of approximating functions with polynomials involves finding the best-fitting polynomial that closely resembles the original function. This is done by finding the coefficients of the polynomial through a series of calculations. On the other hand, finding derivatives involves finding the rate of change of a function at a specific point. While both processes use similar concepts, they serve different purposes in Calculus II.

3. Can all functions be approximated with polynomials?

No, not all functions can be approximated with polynomials. Functions that have sharp turns, vertical asymptotes, or other irregularities cannot be accurately represented by a polynomial. In these cases, other methods such as piecewise functions or Taylor series may be used to approximate the function.

4. What is the significance of the degree of a polynomial when approximating functions in Calculus II?

The degree of a polynomial determines how accurately it can approximate a function. The higher the degree, the more closely the polynomial can match the function. However, using a high-degree polynomial can also lead to overfitting and loss of accuracy in certain areas of the function. It is important to find a balance between degree and accuracy when approximating functions with polynomials.

5. How can approximating functions with polynomials be useful in real-world applications?

Approximating functions with polynomials can be useful in real-world applications such as economics, physics, and engineering. It allows for simplification and analysis of complex functions, making it easier to model and predict real-world phenomena. This can also aid in making informed decisions and solving practical problems.