Calculation of the exhaust velocity of a Hot Water Rocket

In summary: Other topics related to rocket engines and propulsion, such as liquid oxygen engines and convergent-divergent nozzles, would also provide valuable information for further understanding. In summary, a Hot Water or Steam rocket is not a viable option for reaching outer space and there are many other more effective alternatives available.
Basimalasi
inb4 "google it", I did. There aren't a lot of information about this topic.

Can a Hot Water Rocket or a Steam rocket ever succeed to reach outer space?
I can calculate the exhaust velocity by determining the change in enthalpy I guess but I don't in which state will it exist in and how can I get the values from the thermodynamics table, so imagine we have a 5MW heater then we heated a tank full of water, how much is the mass and energy needed to fly is and which state will the water have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basic answer is that a rocket engine based on heating a tank of water is unlikely to be successful .

You might find a lot of explanation and background interest in these topics though :

(1) Liquid Hydrogen/Liquid oxygen rocket engines .

(2) Hydrogen Peroxide catalytic rocket engines .

(3) Flow in a convergent -divergent nozzle - usually called a DeLaval nozzle .

It is highly unlikely that a Hot Water or Steam rocket could successfully reach outer space. While it is possible to calculate the exhaust velocity and determine the necessary mass and energy, there are many other factors that would prevent a water-based rocket from reaching such heights. For example, the weight and size of the rocket would be a limiting factor, as well as the ability to withstand the extreme temperatures and pressures of space. Additionally, the water would likely turn into steam too quickly, causing the rocket to lose thrust and fail. It is much more feasible to use traditional rocket fuels such as liquid hydrogen or kerosene for space travel.

Related to Calculation of the exhaust velocity of a Hot Water Rocket

1. How is the exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket calculated?

The exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket can be calculated using the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, which takes into account the mass of the water, the mass of the rocket, and the specific impulse of the rocket engine.

2. What is the specific impulse of a hot water rocket?

The specific impulse of a hot water rocket is a measure of how efficiently the rocket engine uses its fuel. It is typically measured in seconds and can range from 50 to 350 seconds for hot water rockets.

3. How does the exhaust velocity affect the performance of a hot water rocket?

The exhaust velocity directly affects the thrust and acceleration of the rocket. A higher exhaust velocity will result in a higher thrust and faster acceleration, allowing the rocket to reach higher altitudes.

4. What factors can affect the exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket?

The exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket can be affected by various factors such as the temperature and pressure of the water, the design of the rocket engine, and the efficiency of the nozzle. Additionally, the mass of the rocket and the amount of water used can also impact the exhaust velocity.

5. How can the exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket be increased?

The exhaust velocity of a hot water rocket can be increased by using a more efficient nozzle design, increasing the pressure and temperature of the water, and reducing the weight of the rocket. Additionally, using a more powerful fuel source and optimizing the rocket's trajectory can also result in a higher exhaust velocity.