What is the characteristics of the flow in Hot-water rockets

In summary, the conversation is about making a hot-water rocket and the necessary thermodynamics calculations. The type of flow in such systems is discussed, with the conclusion that it will likely be an unsteady flow. The individual also requests links to unsteady energy-mass flow of water problems.
Basimalasi
So I'm trying to make a Hot-Water Rocket. But I want to make the necessary thermodynamics calculations first.
What kind of flow will it be in such systems

I think it's obviously going to be an unsteady flow but is it uniform or not?

I also would love if you guys linked me to unsteady energy-mass flow of water problems. I tried google and my thermodynamics book but 99% of the problems are in steady flow.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you mean by a "hot water rocket"?

Related to What is the characteristics of the flow in Hot-water rockets

What are the characteristics of flow in Hot-water rockets?

The flow in Hot-water rockets is characterized by its high temperature and velocity. The water is heated to a high temperature, causing it to expand and create a high-pressure stream of gas that propels the rocket forward. The flow is also turbulent, meaning that it is highly chaotic and unpredictable.

How does the temperature of the water affect the flow in Hot-water rockets?

The temperature of the water is a crucial factor in determining the characteristics of flow in Hot-water rockets. As the water is heated, it expands and creates a higher pressure within the rocket. This high-pressure gas then rushes out of the nozzle, creating a thrust force that propels the rocket forward. The higher the temperature of the water, the greater the expansion and resulting thrust.

What role does the nozzle play in the flow of Hot-water rockets?

The nozzle is a critical component in the flow of Hot-water rockets. It is responsible for shaping and directing the high-pressure gas created by the heated water. The shape and size of the nozzle greatly affect the characteristics of the flow, including its velocity and direction. A well-designed nozzle can optimize the flow and increase the efficiency of the rocket.

How does the flow in Hot-water rockets differ from other types of rockets?

The flow in Hot-water rockets is unique compared to other types of rockets. Unlike solid or liquid fuel rockets, Hot-water rockets do not rely on the combustion of fuel to create thrust. Instead, they use the expansion of heated water to produce a high-pressure gas that propels the rocket forward. This makes them more environmentally friendly and easier to control.

What factors can affect the flow in Hot-water rockets?

Several factors can affect the flow in Hot-water rockets, including the temperature and volume of the water, the shape and size of the nozzle, and the design of the rocket itself. Other external factors such as air resistance and wind can also affect the flow and trajectory of the rocket. Careful consideration and testing of these factors are necessary to achieve optimal performance in Hot-water rockets.