Calculation for injection molding

In summary, The conversation is about questions regarding injection molding, specifically how to calculate total mold volume, how many parts can be produced, and clamping force. The person also mentions struggling with overthinking the problem.
wan2juice
Hi all,

Here are some questions for injection molding:
1. How to calculate total mold volume?
2. How to calculate how many parts can be produced?
2. How to calculate clamping force?

Further details of the question is in the attachment.

Thx for any answers might given. ^^

Attachments

• DSC02558.jpg
    DSC02558.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 512
Engineering news on Phys.org
1. How can you be in that class if you don't know how to calculate volume?

2. What does density times volume equal?

3. What does surface area times pressure equal?

Skrambles said:
1. How can you be in that class if you don't know how to calculate volume?

2. What does density times volume equal?

3. What does surface area times pressure equal?

Just a note of this, when you are learning something new you can tend to overthink the problem. This has happenend to me before, I have been thinking so hard about a problem that the very basics escape me.

On saying that, I did expect the geometry to be slightly more complicated when I read the title.

Related to Calculation for injection molding

1. How do you calculate the shot size for injection molding?

The shot size for injection molding is calculated by multiplying the part volume by the desired number of cavities and adding a 10% buffer for safety. The part volume is calculated by multiplying the part's projected area by its wall thickness. The projected area is calculated by multiplying the part's maximum projected length and width.

2. What is the cycle time for injection molding?

The cycle time for injection molding is the total time it takes to complete one injection molding cycle, which includes filling, cooling, and ejection of the part. It is calculated by adding the filling time, cooling time, and ejection time.

3. How do you calculate the clamp force for injection molding?

The clamp force for injection molding is calculated by multiplying the projected area of the part by the desired clamping pressure. The projected area is calculated by multiplying the part's maximum projected length and width. The desired clamping pressure is typically determined by the material being used and the size of the part.

4. What is the shrinkage rate for injection molded parts?

The shrinkage rate for injection molded parts varies depending on the material and part design, but it is typically between 0.5-2%. It is important to account for shrinkage when designing a part to ensure proper fit and functionality.

5. How do you calculate the cooling time for injection molding?

The cooling time for injection molding is calculated by determining the time it takes for the plastic to solidify and cool enough for the part to be ejected without deformation. This can be estimated by multiplying the part's wall thickness by a cooling time constant, which is dependent on the material being used.