Calculating the Speed of Airplane Above an Observer

In summary, the distance from the observer to the airplane is increasing at a rate of 384 miles per hour 30 seconds after the airplane was directly overhead. This is found by using the relationship between the horizontal distance, altitude, and total distance in a right triangle and differentiating with respect to time.
jmed

Homework Statement

An airplane flying horizontally at an altitude of 3 miles and at a speed of 480 miles per hour passes directly above an observer on the ground. How fast is the distance from the observer to the airplane increasing 30 seconds later?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted to draw the picture for this I got a 3, 4, 5 right triangle because the altitude is 3, and if you divide 480 by 60 you get 8 and half of that is 4. So this would create a 3, 4, 5 right triangle? Now would I use the distance formula with respect to distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
jmed said:

Homework Statement

An airplane flying horizontally at an altitude of 3 miles and at a speed of 480 miles per hour passes directly above an observer on the ground. How fast is the distance from the observer to the airplane increasing 30 seconds later?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted to draw the picture for this I got a 3, 4, 5 right triangle because the altitude is 3, and if you divide 480 by 60 you get 8 and half of that is 4. So this would create a 3, 4, 5 right triangle? Now would I use the distance formula with respect to distance?
At the time in question (1/2 minute after the plane was directly overhead), the plane is 5 miles from the observer, but that's not what the problem is after. It wants the rate of change of distance, with respect to time.

This is a related rates problem. In your right triangle, the only thing that isn't changing is the altitude (plane or triangle). You should label the other side of your triangle as x and the hypotenuse as D. Now can you think of a relationship between x and D? Can you use that relationship to get a relationship between the two rates of interest here?

Would law of cosine come into play? d^2 = 1^2 + x^2 - 2*1*x cos90. Then from here differentiate?

It's a right triangle, right? You don't need the Law of Cosines for a right triangle. You can use it, but it's overkill. Also, what's the plane's altitude?

Ok so it is a 45-45-90? Then I can use law of sine? Also, the altitude is 3km. So if I use law of sine, I get d = 4.2426...i'm not sure how I can differentiate from here tho...

jmed said:
Ok so it is a 45-45-90? Then I can use law of sine? Also, the altitude is 3km. So if I use law of sine, I get d = 4.2426...i'm not sure how I can differentiate from here tho...

How do you get it being a 45-45-90 right triangle? There is something much simpler than the Law of Cosines or the Law of Sines.

The altitude is 3 miles.

Take a look again at what I said in post #2.

It is 3 miles. I am confused on what to use? I thought 45-45-90 because I calculated x to be 4 which would make the hypotnuse 5...?

a^2 + b^2 = c^2?? but then how do I differentiate?

It's not a 45-45-90.

Start with this:

x^2+y^2=r^2

Where x is the horizontal distance, y is the altitude, and r is the total distance.

Then differentiate with respect to time. d(x^2)/dt + d(y^2)/dt = d(r^2)/dt

jmed said:
a^2 + b^2 = c^2?? but then how do I differentiate?
You know the altitude, so your formula should involve only two variables. And I would suggest using better letters than a, b, and c - letters that make it easier for you to understand what they represent.

I still need a rate tho. I have x*dx/dt= r*dr/dt. I am not sure how to use the 480mph and the 30sec to find a rate. Is dx/dt = 30sec?

OK, that's the equation that shows how the rates are related. At any time t, x* dx/dt = r * dr/dt. Before getting to the answer, what does each of these symbols represent?

x is what?
dx/dt is what? (it's not 30 sec.)
r is what?
dr/dt is what?

x = distance plane has traveled...dx/dt is equal to rate at which plane is traveling...r is distance from observer to plane 30 sec. later. dr/dt is equal to rate of distance from observer to airplane 30 sec later. dx/dt would equal 480mph. dr/dt is what I am trying to find.

jmed said:
x = distance plane has traveled...dx/dt is equal to rate at which plane is traveling
In other words, the plane's speed, which is known.
jmed said:
...r is distance from observer to plane 30 sec. later.
No, r is the distance from observer to plane. Period.
jmed said:
dr/dt is equal to rate of distance from observer to airplane 30 sec later.
No dr/dt is just the rate at which the distance from observer to plane is changing. Period. r and dr/dt don't have anything to do with the 30 seconds.
jmed said:
dx/dt would equal 480mph.
Yes.
jmed said:
dr/dt is what I am trying to find.
Yes.

OK, at any time t, you have 480*x = r*dr/dt (replacing dx/dt with 480 mi/hr).
Can you solve for dr/dt in terms of the other quantities? You won't get a number just yet.

At 30 seconds after the plane was directly overhead, what is x? r? Now you should be able to get dr/dt.

Notice that this value of dr/dt is only at the time in question (30 seconds after plane was overhead). At later times, dr/dt will have different values, even though dx/dt remains constant.

If you have any knowledge of vectors and velocities, try considering the angle formed by the plane at the give time by its height, and the distance it traveled from the point it was over head of the observer , to the present location (d=480t). 480 mph would be your V(horizontal), so if you can think of a relation using the angle, to describe ratio of the V(horizontal) to V(away), using the triangle, you can do it without calculus.

so then x = 4 after 30 seconds and r is then = to 5. This equates to (480*4)/5 = dr/dt. Which equals 384 mph?

awesome! thanks again!

Related to Calculating the Speed of Airplane Above an Observer

1. How do you calculate the speed of an airplane above an observer?

To calculate the speed of an airplane above an observer, you first need to measure the distance between the observer and the airplane. Next, you need to record the time it takes for the airplane to travel that distance. Finally, divide the distance by the time to get the speed in units of distance per time (e.g. miles per hour).

2. What factors affect the accuracy of the speed calculation?

The accuracy of the speed calculation may be affected by factors such as wind speed, air density, and observer error. Wind speed can cause the airplane to appear faster or slower depending on the direction and strength of the wind. Air density can also affect the speed as denser air can increase drag and slow down the airplane. Lastly, observer error, such as inaccurately measuring the distance or time, can also impact the accuracy of the speed calculation.

3. Can you calculate the speed of an airplane if it is flying at an angle?

Yes, you can still calculate the speed of an airplane if it is flying at an angle. In this case, you would need to use trigonometry to calculate the horizontal component of the speed, which is the speed above the observer. This can be done by multiplying the total speed by the cosine of the angle of elevation.

4. What units should be used to express the speed of the airplane?

The speed of the airplane can be expressed in various units, such as miles per hour, kilometers per hour, or meters per second. The choice of units depends on the preference of the observer and the accuracy needed for the calculation. However, it is important to keep the units consistent throughout the calculation.

5. Can you calculate the speed of an airplane if you only know the time it takes to fly over a certain distance?

Yes, you can calculate the speed of an airplane if you only know the time it takes to fly over a certain distance. In this case, you would need to divide the distance by the time to get the speed. However, it is important to note that this method assumes a straight and level flight path, without taking into account any external factors that may affect the speed.