Calculating the phase of the sum of two vectors

In summary, in this conversation, the participants discuss how to calculate the module and phase of a vector, specifically one with components in the i and j directions. They determine that the module can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, but the phase requires the use of the arctan function. The phase angle is measured counter-clockwise from the positive i axis, and is dependent on the signs of the components. It is also noted that the phase of a vector with only a j component is either pi/2 or -pi/2. The conversation ends with a request for additional resources on the topic.
cstrieder
Hi,

suppose I have two vectors, one in the i direction and the other in j direction, i is horizontal and j vertical.

The first vector Vi = 5i and the second vector Vj = 2j.

If we sum this vectos it results in one vector that have module and phase.

I found the module by Vij = ( 5^2 + 2^2 ) ^ (1/2) = 5.3852.

But what about the phase?

I think it was atan(y/x), but in case y=0 or x=0, it let me in troubles.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your vector is 5i + 2j, so x = 5 and y = 2.

Hi dx,

I want to know how to calculate the angle(phase) between 5i and 2j...

The vector, with tail at (0,0) and head at (5, 2) forms a right triangle with "opposite side" 2 and "near side" 2 so [itex]tan(\theta)= 2/5[/itex], so [itex]\theta= arctan(2/5)[/itex] and lies between 0 and [itex]\pi/2[/itex] since the components are both positive.

Yes, The vector xi+ yj has angle given by arctan(y/x) (with the quadrant determined by the sign of y and x). If x= 0, then obviously the vector lies along the y-axis so [itex]\theta= \pi/2[/itex] or [itex]\theta= 3\pi/2[/itex] depending on whether y is positive or negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I have only 2j, what is the phase?

-pi/2 or pi/2

?

Why?

cstrieder said:
When I have only 2j, what is the phase?

-pi/2 or pi/2

?

Why?
[itex]\pi/2[/itex]. The "phase angle" is measured counter-clockwise from the positive [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] axis. [itex]\pi/2[/itex] points along the positive y-axis while [itex]-\pi/2[/itex] points along the negative y-axis.

Thanks for your reply HallsofIvy,

I have one more question,

If I have [tex]-5i[/tex], so the phase vector is [tex]\pi[/tex], correct?

And in case I have [tex]5i[/tex], so the phase vector is [tex]-\pi[/tex], or zero?

NO! As I said before, the "phase" angle of 5i is [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and the "phase" angle of -5i is [itex]-\pi/2[/itex], not "[itex]\pi[/itex]" or "[itex]-\pi[/itex]".

Hi HallsofIvy,

can you provide me some referece, so I can study this by my self.

I fill I need to study.

If you can provide online reference it was better.

Thanks

Related to Calculating the phase of the sum of two vectors

1. How do you calculate the phase of the sum of two vectors?

The phase of the sum of two vectors can be calculated using the formula Φ = tan-1(y/x), where Φ represents the phase angle, y is the magnitude of the vertical component of the resultant vector, and x is the magnitude of the horizontal component of the resultant vector.

2. Can the phase of the sum of two vectors be negative?

Yes, the phase of the sum of two vectors can be negative. This occurs when the resultant vector is in the negative x-axis, resulting in a phase angle between 180° and 270°.

3. What is the importance of calculating the phase of the sum of two vectors?

Calculating the phase of the sum of two vectors is important in understanding the direction and magnitude of the resultant vector. This information is crucial in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where vector addition is commonly used to determine forces and motion.

4. Can the phase of the sum of two vectors be greater than 360°?

No, the phase of the sum of two vectors cannot be greater than 360°. This is because the phase angle is always measured from the positive x-axis and 360° represents a full rotation back to the positive x-axis.

5. How do you determine the direction of the resultant vector using the phase of the sum of two vectors?

The direction of the resultant vector can be determined by looking at the phase angle. If the phase angle is between and 180°, the resultant vector is in the positive x-axis. If the phase angle is between 180° and 360°, the resultant vector is in the negative x-axis.