Maximize the sum of squared distances

• MHB
  • Thread starter lfdahl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, maximizing the sum of squared distances refers to a mathematical optimization problem used to find the best arrangement of points in space. This concept is important in various fields and can be solved using algorithms such as gradient descent and k-means clustering. Some applications include image compression and anomaly detection, but it may not always be the most appropriate approach due to assumptions about data distribution.
lfdahl
Gold Member
MHB
Let $P_i$ denote the $i$thpoint on the surface of an ellipsoid: $\frac{x^2}{a^2}+\frac{y^2}{b^2}+\frac{z^2}{c^2} = 1$, where the principal semiaxes obey: $0 < a < b < c$.

Maximize the sum of squared distances:

\[\sum_{1\leq i < j \leq 2n}\left | P_i-P_j \right |^2\]

- over alle possible choices of $2n$ points (centroid of the points is the origin)

Please prove your result.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here´s the suggested solution:

\[\sum_{1\leq i<j\leq 2n}\left | P_i-P_j \right |^2 =\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j = 1}^{2n}\left | P_i-P_j \right |^2 =\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i,j = 1}^{2n}\left ( \left | P_i \right |^2+\left | P_j \right |^2-2P_iP_j \right )\\\\= \frac{1}{2}\left ( 2n\sum_{i=1}^{2n}\left | P_i \right |^2+2n\sum_{j=1}^{2n}\left | P_j \right |^2-2\sum_{i,j=1}^{2n}P_iP_j \right )\\\\=2n\sum_{i=1}^{2n}\left | P_i \right |^2-\sum_{i=1}^{2n}P_i\sum_{j=1}^{2n}P_j \\\\=2n\sum_{i=1}^{2n}\left | P_i \right |^2-\left |\sum_{i=1}^{2n}P_i \right |^2\]

The first term is clearly maximized when all points $P_i$ have the maximum distance from

the origin of $c$. The second term is minimized when $\sum P_i = 0$. We can satisfy both of

these simultaneously if $n$ points are chosen to be $(0, 0, c)$ and the other $n$ points are chosen

to be $(0, 0,−c)$. In this case,

\[\sum_{1\leq i<j\leq 2n}\left | P_i-P_j \right |^2 = 2n2nc^2-0 = 4n^2c^2.\]

1. What is the concept behind "Maximize the sum of squared distances"?

The concept behind "Maximize the sum of squared distances" is to find the optimal positions of a set of points in space so that the sum of the squared distances between them is maximized. This is often used in data analysis and machine learning to find the best fit for a set of data points.

2. How is "Maximize the sum of squared distances" different from other optimization methods?

Unlike other optimization methods that aim to minimize a certain value, "Maximize the sum of squared distances" focuses on maximizing a value. This method is often used in clustering algorithms to find the most distinct groups within a dataset.

3. What is the mathematical formula for "Maximize the sum of squared distances"?

The mathematical formula for "Maximize the sum of squared distances" is Σ(di)^2, where di represents the distance between each point and the centroid of the cluster it belongs to.

4. How does "Maximize the sum of squared distances" help in data analysis?

"Maximize the sum of squared distances" helps in data analysis by providing a way to identify distinct groups or patterns within a dataset. This can be useful in finding relationships between variables or identifying outliers in the data.

5. What are the limitations of "Maximize the sum of squared distances"?

One limitation of "Maximize the sum of squared distances" is that it assumes the clusters are spherical and of equal size. This may not always be the case in real-world data. Additionally, it may not work well with high-dimensional data as the distances between points become less meaningful in higher dimensions.