Calculating the Mass of a Binary Star System

In summary, the conversation discusses a binary star system with a large and a compact star orbiting around a common point. Using the given information, including the mass, radius, orbital period, and gravitational constant, the approximate mass of the compact star (m2) is calculated. The type of star is not specified. The conversation also mentions the use of equations to determine the mass and radius of the compact star. However, there are still some unknowns in the calculations and further equations may be needed.
coltsamuel96
mass of a star...

given is a binary star system, with mass m1=6*1.99*10^30kg, radius =r1, v=270km/s, orbital period, T=1.7days... the other star of the binary system(compact and dense)with mass m2, and radius r2 orbits around a same common point... (r1>r2, G=6.67*10^-11Nm^2kg^-2) calculate, 1.)approximate mass of m2 2.)what type of star is m2?
attempt at the question, i used this equation, G*m1m2/(r1+r2)^2=m1(2pi/T)^2*r1 and furthermore i did, v=r(2pi/T), with this i get r1... but how do i get r2?so that i can get m2 from the above equation of G*m2/(r1+r2)^2=(2pi/T)^2*r1

Physics news on Phys.org

Did you know the period is the same for both stars?
I was convinced by looking at the animation in Wikipedia (binary stars).
And, of course, the force. Anyway, you can write that
F = 4π²m1*r1/T² = 4π²m2*r2/T².
That gives you 2 equations and 3 unknowns, I think. Maybe use the other formula for the force in the same way to get a 3rd equation?

1. How is the mass of a binary star system calculated?

The mass of a binary star system is calculated using Kepler's third law, which states that the square of the orbital period of a planet or satellite is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit.

2. What is the semi-major axis of a binary star system?

The semi-major axis is the average distance between the two stars in the binary system. It is calculated by measuring the distance between the two stars at their closest point (periastron) and furthest point (apoastron) and finding the average.

3. Can the mass of a binary star system be calculated using only the orbital period?

No, the mass of a binary star system cannot be calculated using only the orbital period. Other factors such as the distance between the stars and their individual masses also play a role in the calculation.

4. How does the mass ratio of the stars affect the calculation?

The mass ratio of the stars is an important factor in the calculation of the binary star system's mass. It is calculated by dividing the mass of the larger star by the mass of the smaller star. A higher mass ratio will result in a larger total mass for the system.

5. What are some challenges in calculating the mass of a binary star system?

There are several challenges in calculating the mass of a binary star system. These include accurately measuring the orbital period, determining the distance between the stars, and accounting for any perturbations or gravitational interactions between the stars and other objects in the system.