Binary system of stars (##\alpha## - centauri)

In summary: You should show your work and the values that you obtained.In summary, the homework statement is saying that there are two stars in a binary system, one of which is closer to the Earth than the other. They have an angular separation of 8.0'' and a distance of 9.7''. The binary star has a revolution period of 80.1 years and has a mass of 1.31 solar masses.
Aleolomorfo

Homework Statement

##\alpha##-Centuary is in a binary visual system with another star. Their separation, from their CM, is 8.0'' and 9.7''. The distance from the Earth is 1.31pc. Their revolution period around the CM is 80.1 years. I have to find masses and luminosities for each star.

Homework Equations

Third Newton's law: ##\omega^2 = \frac{G(M_1+M_2)}{a^3}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Immagine.jpg
[/B]
With the help of this picture I can calculate ##a=1.7''\times1.31pc##. Then I can solve this system of equations:
$$\omega^2 = \frac{G(M_1+M_2)}{a^3}$$
$$\omega = \frac{2\pi}{T}$$
In this way I find only ##M_1+M_2##. I need another equation but I do not find it.
For the luminosity I can use the scaling relation that ##L\propto M^4##. However, firstly I need to find ##M_1## and ##M_2## separately.

Attachments

• Immagine.jpg
    Immagine.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but I have noticed that I had switched the separations from the CM. I put 9,7'' on the shorter segment and viceversa, but it is not a problem since I have used the sum.

Maybe I have an idea: I can use the definition of CM.
$$M_1\times r_1=M_2\times r_2$$ with ##r1=1,31pc\times 9.7''## and ##r_2=1.31pc\times 8''##
I think it is ok, isn't it?

You can't just multiply arcseconds by distance to get the angular distance; you have to convert to radians first.

tms said:
You can't just multiply arcseconds by distance to get the angular distance; you have to convert to radians first.
Yes, I have implied it, I should have written explicitly, sorry. I have done it and I have found reasonable results, so I think it is ok.

Aleolomorfo said:
Yes, I have implied it, I should have written explicitly, sorry. I have done it and I have found reasonable results, so I think it is ok.
You should show your work and the values that you obtained.

1. What is a binary system of stars?

A binary system of stars is a system in which two stars orbit around a common center of mass. They are held together by their mutual gravitational attraction and can have varying distances and orbital periods.

2. What is the significance of the binary system of stars ##\alpha## - Centauri?

##\alpha## - Centauri is the closest known star system to Earth, making it a significant object of study in astronomy. It is also a triple star system, with two main stars orbiting each other and a third, smaller star orbiting around them.

3. How far away is ##\alpha## - Centauri from Earth?

The distance to ##\alpha## - Centauri is approximately 4.37 light-years, or 25.8 trillion miles. This makes it the closest star system to our solar system.

4. What are the main stars in the ##\alpha## - Centauri system?

The two main stars in the ##\alpha## - Centauri system are called ##\alpha## - Centauri A and ##\alpha## - Centauri B. They are both similar to our Sun in size and composition, but are slightly smaller and cooler.

5. Can we see ##\alpha## - Centauri from Earth?

Yes, ##\alpha## - Centauri is visible from the southern hemisphere and can be seen with the naked eye in the night sky. It is the third brightest star in the sky, after Sirius and Canopus.