Calculating tension on 3 wires/strings

• Thread starter anonymous812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: There are three strands and the spider is hanging from the end of the third strand. The tension on the strand is 0. So the equation becomes: Tx+Ty+spider=0.
anonymous812

Homework Statement

"a spider is resting after starting to spin its web. The gravitational force on the spider is 0.172 N on the junction of the three strands of silk. The junction is supported by different tension forces in the two strands above it so that the resultant force on the junction is zero. The two sloping strands are perpendicular, and we have chosen the x and y directions to be along them. The tension Tx is 0.107 N."

Homework Equations

Tx+Ty+spider=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to make a triangle out of Tx and Ty but there are no values or angles to work with other than the 90 degrees b/w x and y. Any tips on how to solve for Ty would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Try looking at components of forces along the x direction and see if that tells you anything about the x-component of the gravitational force of the spider.

[EDIT: Actually, if you draw a correct triangle of forces you can get the answer right away. Can you describe in more detail how you tried to construct your triangle? My comment above is another way to get to the answer using the method of components.]

Last edited:
I don't think this is workable.

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

Try looking at components of forces along the x direction and see if that tells you anything about the x-component of the gravitational force of the spider.

[EDIT: Actually, if you draw a correct triangle of forces you can get the answer right away. Can you describe in more detail how you tried to construct your triangle? My comment above is another way to get to the answer using the method of components.]

alright, i made a right triangle with the x and y being the two sides and the given 90 degrees. it didn't get me anywhere earlier since I didn't have any values. I couldn't figure out how to calculate the values of the horizontal and vertical degrees of the strings, so I went with that triangle.

as for the first part, by cos(90) is 0 and sin(90) is 1...so that leaves me back where i started, as well?

There are 3 forces acting at the junction of the threads, right? One force slopes up along the x-axis and you know the value of that force (Tx). Another force slopes up along the y-axis and you are trying to find the value of that force. The third force acts vertically downward and you know the value of that force. So, you know 2 out of the 3 sides of the force triangle.

it just clicked. that makes so much more sense than what i was doing. i really appreciate your help! thanks!

Wait a minute. The problem states 3 strands and the spider.

The wording of the problem isn't clear, but it seemed to me that the spider must be hanging from the end of the 3rd strand.

I guess you have to assume the third strand has a tension of 0 then the problem is workable.

barryj said:
I guess you have to assume the third strand has a tension of 0 then the problem is workable.

Here's how I interpreted it.

Attachments

• Spider.png
    Spider.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 606

Related to Calculating tension on 3 wires/strings

1. How do I calculate the tension on 3 wires/strings?

To calculate the tension on 3 wires/strings, you will need to use the formula T = (F1 + F2 + F3)/3, where T is the tension and F1, F2, and F3 are the forces acting on each wire/string. This formula assumes that the wires/strings are connected to the same object and are under the same conditions.

2. What are the units for tension in this calculation?

The units for tension in this calculation will depend on the units used for the forces. If the forces are given in Newtons (N), then the tension will also be in Newtons. If the forces are given in pounds (lbs), then the tension will be in pounds.

3. Can I use this formula for more than 3 wires/strings?

Yes, this formula can be used for any number of wires/strings. You will just need to add up all the forces and divide by the total number of wires/strings.

4. Do I need to consider the weight of the wires/strings in this calculation?

No, this formula only takes into account the forces acting on the wires/strings. The weight of the wires/strings can be added to one of the forces if it is significant enough to affect the tension.

5. Can I use this formula for wires/strings with different angles?

Yes, this formula can be used for wires/strings with different angles as long as the forces acting on each wire/string are known. However, if the angles are significantly different, it may be more accurate to use a more complex formula that takes into account the angles and the forces.