Uniform electric field - tension & electric field strength

In summary, we determined the tension in the thread holding a ball with a mass of 3.0 x 10-4 kg and a charge of +5.0 x 10-5 C between two parallel plates. We found the tension to be 3.6 x 10-3 N at an angle of 35° west of north. We also calculated the electric field between the plates to be 41 N/C in the eastward direction.
krbs

Homework Statement

A ball with a mass of 3.0 x 10-4 kg hangs from a 15 cm long thread between two parallel plates. The thread is deflected to the side, as shown in the following diagram. The charge on the ball is +5.0 x 10-5 C.

a) Find the tension in the thread
b) Find the magnitude and direction of the electric field between the plates
image1 (1).jpg

Homework Equations

a) FTy =Fg
FTx = FE

b) ε = FE/q

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I solved for the horizontal and vertical components of tension (which I believe are equivalent, respectively, to the electric force and force of gravity, since the object is at equilibrium). I then found the resultant force of tension and the corresponding angle:

3.3 x 10-3 N [N 27° W]

b) 29 N/C [East]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you worked it correctly. It appears you used an angle of 27o for the thread even though the picture says 35o.

For (b) I get an answer closer to 30 N/C rather than 29 N/C for an angle of 27o for the thread.

Likes krbs
Thanks so much for your help. I've corrected some probable errors, but I'm still not sure if I'm using the correct steps so I've typed them out in full.

a)

FTy = Fg
(3.0 x 10-4 kg)(9.8m/s2)
= 2.94 x 10-3 N [North]

FTx = FE
= tan35°(2.94 x 10-3)
= 2.05861 x 10-3 N [West]

FT2 = (2.94 x 10-3)2 + (2.05861 x 10-3)2
FT = 3.6 x 10-3 N [N 35° W]

b) ε = FE/q
= 2.05861 x 10-3 N/5.0 x 10-5
= 41 N/C [East]

I assume the field goes from East to West since the positive charge is being pushed East.

Looks good.

Likes krbs
Thank you

Related to Uniform electric field - tension & electric field strength

What is a uniform electric field?

A uniform electric field is a type of electric field where the magnitude and direction of the electric field remains constant throughout the entire region.

What is tension in relation to a uniform electric field?

Tension refers to the force experienced by a charged particle in a uniform electric field. It is caused by the electric field exerting a force on the particle, pulling it in a certain direction.

How is tension calculated in a uniform electric field?

Tension can be calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the charge of the particle.

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of the electric field at a specific point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle at that point.

How is electric field strength related to tension in a uniform electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field strength is directly proportional to the tension experienced by a charged particle in a uniform electric field. This means that as the electric field strength increases, the tension experienced by the particle also increases.