Calculating Temperature Change for Heat Exchanger

In summary, based on the parameters provided, the air temperature when it exits the block will be about 32 degrees Fahrenheit.
matt621
Hello,

After the last post I completely changed the system. I now have a new system. Based on the feedback from last time I increased the time in contact with the block significantly. And I have made it a two stage unit.

Here are the parameters for the first stage. An Aluminum block. (assume typical 6061) Assume the block is held to 32F and it picks up no new heat (it will but I have another exchanger in a 32F or below water bath of significant capacity. So I'm 99.9% sure I can keep it at 32F.)687Square Inches of total surface area. (Total mass of the block is about 7#s.)The air running in between the plates (assume each plate is half the surface area).The air is 100F, and anyone molecule of air is in close proximity of one of the plates for 3 seconds. And by very lose proximity assume .06" or closer.Can we calculate how much the drop in temperature will be for the air with just these parameters?If we need something else, what would that something else be?

Currently the plates are smooth and I know I can get better transfer if I rough them up, however I also have a flow issue for the air,so any increase in the roughness of the surface of the block will result in a loss of flow of the air between them.)

Based on the answer here, I may not even need the 2nd stage but if I do I think I can approx it close enough to start working on it.

Thank you very much.

Science news on Phys.org
matt621 said:
If we need something else, what would that something else be?

A lot more information if you want a proper answer . To begin with please post a clear sketch showing the arrangement of block , plates and heat exchanger that you have and the actual flow path of the air .

Likes Chestermiller
I'm sorry, I'm unable to provide a sketch.

If you just imagine 2 plates parallel to each other, about 1/8" apart forming a channel for the air to go thru. (ends blocked so it creates a long thin tunnel for the air to pass.) The blocks will be kept at approx. 32F (or lower).

Based on the speed of the air, from the start of the channel/tunnel to the end the air will be in contact with the blocks/channel a min. of 3 seconds.

Maybe another way to put this is if a cubic mm of air @ 100F is put into contact with 1 sq mm for a min. of 3 seconds how much heat will be removed from the 1 cubic mm of air? ie, what temp will the air coming out of the other end be? (Assuming a semi smooth surface fo the al., ie, not polished, but what any standard milling process would produce.)

Thanks

Related to Calculating Temperature Change for Heat Exchanger

1. How do you calculate the overall heat transfer coefficient for a heat exchanger?

The overall heat transfer coefficient (U) for a heat exchanger can be calculated using the following formula:
U = 1/((1/hi) + (tw/k) + (1/ho)), where hi is the inside heat transfer coefficient, tw is the wall thickness, and ho is the outside heat transfer coefficient.

2. What is the formula for calculating the heat duty in a heat exchanger?

The heat duty (Q) for a heat exchanger can be calculated using the following formula:
Q = U x A x LMTD, where U is the overall heat transfer coefficient, A is the heat transfer area, and LMTD is the logarithmic mean temperature difference between the hot and cold fluids.

3. How do you determine the inlet and outlet temperatures for a heat exchanger?

The inlet and outlet temperatures for a heat exchanger can be determined using the energy balance equation:
mhCph(Thin - Thout) = mcCpc(Tcin - Tcout), where mh and mc are the mass flow rates of the hot and cold fluids, Cph and Cpc are the specific heat capacities of the hot and cold fluids, and Thin, Thout, Tcin, and Tcout are the inlet and outlet temperatures for the hot and cold fluids, respectively.

4. What is the significance of the fouling factor in heat exchanger calculations?

The fouling factor is a measure of the resistance to heat transfer caused by the buildup of deposits on the heat transfer surface. It is used to account for the decrease in heat transfer efficiency over time and is included in the overall heat transfer coefficient calculation.

5. Can you use the same approach to calculate temperature change for all types of heat exchangers?

No, the approach for calculating temperature change in a heat exchanger may vary depending on the type of heat exchanger (e.g. shell and tube, plate and frame, etc.) and the flow arrangement (e.g. parallel, counter, cross flow). It is important to use the appropriate equations and consider any specific factors for the specific type of heat exchanger being analyzed.