Calculating Takeoff Time for an Aircraft

In summary, the aircraft has a lift-off speed of 40m/s and a takeoff run of 320m. However, to calculate the time it takes for the aircraft to be airborne, the speed must be divided by 2, resulting in a time of 16 seconds. This is because the speed is not constant during takeoff and the average speed must be used.
Miri

Homework Statement

An aircraft has a lift-off speed of 40m/s. How long does it take the aircraft to be airborn after a takeoff run of 320m?

Homework Equations

I know that I have to divide 320m by the speed (40m/s). But if I do that, I get a wrong result. The result should be 16s and this is only true if I use half of the speed (20m/s). Can somebody explain me why I have to take half of the speed? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At the beginning plane was not moving, then it started to accelerate. Its speed was not constant.

Miri said:
Can somebody explain me why I have to take half of the speed?
As Borek said, the speed is not constant. Hint: What's the average speed during takeoff?

Oh yes..average speed =40/2...thx

Related to Calculating Takeoff Time for an Aircraft

1. When does the takeoff time of an aircraft occur?

The takeoff time of an aircraft occurs when the aircraft begins its ascent from the ground and leaves the runway to enter the air.

2. How is the takeoff time of an aircraft determined?

The takeoff time of an aircraft is determined by various factors such as the weight and balance of the aircraft, weather conditions, and air traffic control clearance. Pilots also use a takeoff performance calculator to determine the necessary speed and power settings for a safe takeoff.

3. Can the takeoff time of an aircraft be delayed?

Yes, the takeoff time of an aircraft can be delayed due to various reasons such as weather conditions, mechanical issues, and air traffic congestion. Airlines and pilots prioritize safety, so they may delay takeoff if necessary.

4. What happens if the takeoff time of an aircraft is missed?

If the takeoff time of an aircraft is missed, the flight may be delayed or canceled depending on the reason for the delay. Passengers may be rebooked on another flight or provided with compensation. Pilots must also follow strict regulations and may face consequences for missing a takeoff time.

5. How long does it typically take for an aircraft to take off?

The time it takes for an aircraft to take off varies depending on the type of aircraft, runway length, and weather conditions. Generally, it takes a commercial aircraft 30 seconds to 1 minute to take off from the ground.