Need help with velocity, acceleration, time and distance

In summary: There is no need to solve both equations--you can use the simpler equation that uses just the initial velocity and the final distance.
Kenzo333

Homework Statement

You need to calculate the acceleration (m/s 2 ) of a jet fighter which is launched from
an aircraft-carrier by catapult, given the jet’s required takeoff speed (km/hr) and the
distance available on deck to reach that speed (metres) as the catapult accelerates the
jet from rest to takeoff. Assume constant acceleration. You are also to calculate the
time (secs) for the jet to be accelerated to takeoff speed. You are also required to
report the acceleration in terms of its g-force where g = 9.80665m/s 2 .

The analysis part of this lab is based around 2 simultaneous equations, with unknowns
for acceleration and time given velocity and distance. Solve these equations so that
you can calculate both acceleration and time in terms of distance and velocity. The
easiest way to do this is to solve the first equation for a (acceleration) and then to
substitute that expression into the second equation and then solve it for t (time).
[/B]

Homework Equations

Relevant formulae are (simple Newtonian motion with initial velocity of 0):
v = at
s = ½at 2
where v = velocity, a = acceleration, t = time, s = distance.

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello
I don't understand the question, could someone please explain it to me?
I know the input or given data is velocity and distance
but how to solve everything? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which part didn't you understand?
You're given distance and final velocity, is there a way you can calculate the acceleration? Any equation you know?

Suraj M said:
Which part didn't you understand?
You're given distance and final velocity, is there a way you can calculate the acceleration? Any equation you know?
Is this the correct equation? but then how to find the time and where do we get the vf and vi?
Thanks
http://media.wiley.com/Lux/18/329818.image1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Kenzo333 said:
Is this the correct equation? but then how to find the time and where do we get the vf and vi?
Thanks
http://media.wiley.com/Lux/18/329818.image1.png
The first part of that, ##a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##, is correct since you are told the acceleration is constant and the initial velocity is zero. But you cannot use velocity=distance/time since that only gives an average velocity. Instead, the second of your two Relevant Equations is appropriate. That is valid for constant acceleration and an initial velocity of zero.
I recommend that you remember the more general form of it, ##s=v_it+\frac 12at^2##. That will cover the cases where the initial velocity is not zero.
For the present problem, you know the initial speed, the final speed and the distance; not time. So this equation is not sufficient either.
However, you can combine it with your v=at equation. That gives you a pair of equations each containing unknowns a and t, so you can solve.

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
The first part of that, ##a=\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##, is correct since you are told the acceleration is constant and the initial velocity is zero. But you cannot use velocity=distance/time since that only gives an average velocity. Instead, the second of your two Relevant Equations is appropriate. That is valid for constant acceleration and an initial velocity of zero.
I recommend that you remember the more general form of it, ##s=v_it+\frac 12at^2##. That will cover the cases where the initial velocity is not zero.
For the present problem, you know the initial speed, the final speed and the distance; not time. So this equation is not sufficient either.
However, you can combine it with your v=at equation. That gives you a pair of equations each containing unknowns a and t, so you can solve.

Hi, how to combine it? thank you.
Can you give me step by step equation which one I should do it first? thank you

Kenzo333 said:
Hi, how to combine it? thank you.
Can you give me step by step equation which one I should do it first? thank you
Have you never solved simultaneous equations?

haruspex said:
Have you never solved simultaneous equations?
Yes,
Please help me ><

Kenzo333 said:
Yes,
Please help me ><
Take the two equations you quoted in the very first post on this thread. Use one of them to express t in terms of other variables, then use that to substitute for t in the other equation. This is how we solve simultaneous equations, isn't it? Please show more effort.

haruspex said:
Take the two equations you quoted in the very first post on this thread. Use one of them to express t in terms of other variables, then use that to substitute for t in the other equation. This is how we solve simultaneous equations, isn't it? Please show more effort.

thank you but "then use that to substitute for t in the other equation"
i don't understand that part
also how do I solve both equation since I don't know the t?
T = distance/velocity right?

Kenzo333 said:
thank you but "then use that to substitute for t in the other equation"
i don't understand that part
also how do I solve both equation since I don't know the t?
T = distance/velocity right?
No, that is not one of your two equations in your original post. I already told you you cannot use velocity=distance/time here because it is not constant velocity.
The equation you do have is t=v/a. This means that wherever you see t in the other equation you can replace it by v/a. That is what is meant by substitution. It is the standard way of solving simultaneous equations.

haruspex said:
No, that is not one of your two equations in your original post. I already told you you cannot use velocity=distance/time here because it is not constant velocity.
The equation you do have is t=v/a. This means that wherever you see t in the other equation you can replace it by v/a. That is what is meant by substitution. It is the standard way of solving simultaneous equations.

Thanks, last question. How do you know that t=v/a ?

Kenzo333 said:
Thanks, last question. How do you know that t=v/a ?
It's a simple rearrangement of the v=at equation you quoted in post #1.
As I mentioned in post #4, it should really be ##\Delta v= at##, i.e. the increase in velocity is acceleration times time. But in this case we know the initial velocity is zero.

Related to Need help with velocity, acceleration, time and distance

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction. Acceleration, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing over time.

2. How do you calculate velocity?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position (displacement) by the change in time. The formula for velocity is v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is change in position, and Δt is change in time. Velocity is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

3. What is the relationship between time, distance, velocity, and acceleration?

Time, distance, velocity, and acceleration are all related and can be used to describe the motion of an object. Time and distance are directly related, meaning that the longer an object moves, the greater the distance it travels. Velocity and acceleration are also related, with acceleration being the rate of change of velocity over time. The relationship between velocity and acceleration is described by the formula a = Δv/Δt, where a is acceleration, Δv is change in velocity, and Δt is change in time.

4. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can affect an object's motion in several ways. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its velocity, it will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction of its velocity, it will slow down. If an object is accelerating perpendicularly to its velocity, it will change direction. In the absence of any other forces, an object with an initial velocity of zero and a constant acceleration will undergo uniformly accelerated motion, meaning its velocity will increase or decrease by the same amount over equal time intervals.

5. How can velocity, acceleration, time, and distance be used to analyze motion?

These four quantities can be used to analyze motion by creating a mathematical model of an object's motion. By measuring an object's velocity and acceleration at different points in time, we can track how its position changes over time. This allows us to predict future motion and understand the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time. These quantities can also be used to determine the forces acting on an object, such as gravity or friction, which can further help us understand and analyze motion.