Calculating Constant Acceleration for a Cessna Aircraft Takeoff

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary constant acceleration and time required for a Cessna aircraft to become airborne after a takeoff run of 250 meters, with a liftoff speed of 120 km/h. The conversation also includes a calculation error and subsequent correction.
nbroyle1
A Cessna aircraft has a liftoff speed of 120 km/h.

(a) What minimum constant acceleration does the aircraft require if it is to be airborne after a takeoff run of 250 m?
(b) How long does it take the aircraft to become airborne?

I tried using an equation for constant acceleration and plugged in: .277^2=0+2a(250). When I solved for a I got .000153 and it was incorrect. any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
nbroyle1 said:
A Cessna aircraft has a liftoff speed of 120 km/h.

(a) What minimum constant acceleration does the aircraft require if it is to be airborne after a takeoff run of 250 m?
(b) How long does it take the aircraft to become airborne?

I tried using an equation for constant acceleration and plugged in: .277^2=0+2a(250). When I solved for a I got .000153 and it was incorrect. any suggestions?
Where did the "0.277" figure come from?

(Edit: And does 27.7 centimeters per second even sound like a reasonable velocity for the liftoff speed of a Cessna aircraft?)

After I converted the kilometers per hour to meters per second

nbroyle1 said:
After I converted the kilometers per hour to meters per second
You might want to try that calculation again. :smile:

thats my problem it should be 44.44m/s

thanks

nbroyle1 said:
thats my problem it should be 44.44m/s
Ummm, :rolleyes: Try that one more time. :smile:

i meant 33.33m/s haha

nbroyle1 said:
i meant 33.33m/s haha
That sounds better. :approve:

Related to Calculating Constant Acceleration for a Cessna Aircraft Takeoff

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration refers to the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a steady increase or decrease in speed, and can be represented by a straight line on a velocity-time graph.

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Uniform motion refers to an object moving at a constant speed in a straight line, while constant acceleration refers to a change in velocity over time. In uniform motion, the acceleration is zero, while in constant acceleration, the acceleration is non-zero.

What are some examples of constant acceleration?

Some examples of constant acceleration include freefall motion, a car accelerating from a stop sign, and a rocket launching into space. In all of these scenarios, the acceleration remains constant over time.

How does gravity affect constant acceleration?

Gravity plays a major role in constant acceleration, as it is the force that causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth. In freefall motion, an object experiences constant acceleration due to the force of gravity acting on it.