Calculating Speed in Special Relativity: A Grade 12 Physics Problem

In summary, scientist Ludwig von Drake measures the half-life of some radioactive material and finds that it is approaching with speed v. Donald Duck, who is riding on the bomb, also measures the half-life. His answer is a factor of 2 smaller than Ludwig's. What is the value of v, expressed as a fraction of c?
BatmanACC
Thanks for taking a look. The following question is that is that from a grade 12 academic physics course.

Homework Statement

Scientist Ludwig von Drake, while in his laboratory, measures the half-life of some radioactive material which is in a bomb, approaching with speed v. Donald Duck, who is riding on the bomb, also measures the half-life. His answer is a factor of 2 smaller than Ludwig's. What is the value of v, expressed as a fraction of c?

Answer: .87

Homework Equations

Special relativity equation: t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2) Note: 2 = squared
Other: I know there is at least one more I must use but for the life of me don't know what it is.

The Attempt at a Solution

First we set V=Drakes. If this is so than Donald's equation must be equal to:

t=[t0/square root (1-v2/c2)]/2

Therefore to= 2t[square root (1-v2/c2)]

The problem is in equating the equations. They end up cancelling out because one is a direct derivative of the other. This leads me to believe I need at least 1 more equation.

It must also be noted that while von Drake may use the special equation of relativity Donald duck cannot (at least this is what I figure). I say this because Donald duck is viewing the half-life from the bomb at rest, meaning he would be more in the realm of inertial frame of reference. What equation i now use knowing that I have no idea.

Thanks in Advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2) (this is the time dilation formula)

t is Drake's time

t0 is the proper time which is Donald's time.

we are given that t = 2t0.

so you have equations:

t=t0/square root (1-v2/c2)
t = 2t0

so solve these 2 equations.

Donal Duck is measuring the proper time interval [tex]t_0[/tex], so the interval measured by Drake is [tex]t=t_o\lambda[/tex]. We're given that [tex]t=2t_o[/tex]. Dividing both equations we get that [tex]\lambda=(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-1/2}=2[/tex]. Solving the equation yields the solution.

Thanks guys. My solution set is similar to both of yours.

I used 2T= To/sqreroot(1-v2/c2) and 2T = To/x where x=.5

This yields sqreroot(1-v2/c2) = .5

Through squaring both sides and moving the variables/numbers around you obtain

.75c2=v2

Simply square root that to get the answer which is .866c=v

Once again thanks for your help!

Related to Calculating Speed in Special Relativity: A Grade 12 Physics Problem

What is the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that describes the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

How is the Special Theory of Relativity different from the General Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity deals with objects moving at constant speeds, while the General Theory of Relativity includes objects that are accelerating or in a gravitational field. The Special Theory of Relativity also does not take into account the effects of gravity, whereas the General Theory of Relativity does.

What are the key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The key principles of the Special Theory of Relativity include the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the principle of the constancy of the speed of light, which states that the speed of light is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

What are some practical applications of the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity has practical applications in various fields, including GPS technology, nuclear energy, and particle accelerators. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and explains phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

What evidence supports the Special Theory of Relativity?

The Special Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and supported by numerous experiments and observations. Some of the key evidence includes the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant, and the observations of time dilation and length contraction in particle accelerators and space travel.