A problem in the equations for Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity

robertwinn
How did you find PF?: Google search

I encountered a problem in the equations for Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity back when I was in high school in 1964. With the invention of the internet, I tried to discuss this with scientists in sci.physics.relativity, but most of the responses were profanity and insults. After about twenty years I decided to find correct equations for Einstein's idea of a slower clock in a moving frame of reference. To my surprise, the equations ended up being the equations that scientists threw away in 1887, the Galilean transformation equations, which will accommodate any measurement of time. You just use a different set of Galilean transformation equations with different variables for time and velocity for each different clock rate. I am now applying these equations to gravitation but have no actual data to compare the results of my equations to.

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI: Discussion or promotion of personal theories is not permitted.

Doc Al said:
FYI: Discussion or promotion of personal theories is not permitted.

The Galilean transformation equations are not a personal theory. They are the equations used by scientists to describe relativity until 1887. Or are you saying that Galileo was not allowed to have a personal theory of relativity?

Please show what you find invalid about my reply.

robertwinn said:
The Galilean transformation equations are not a personal theory. They are the equations used by scientists to describe relativity until 1887. Or are you saying that Galileo was not allowed to have a personal theory of relativity?
Galilean transformations are fine as far as they go. As Einstein (and others) have shown, they must be revised for high speeds. You won't get the correct (experimentally verified) results using them.

Likes FactChecker
Doc Al said:
Galilean transformations are fine as far as they go. As Einstein (and others) have shown, they must be revised for high speeds. You won't get the correct (experimentally verified) using them.
I get a result for the time of the slower clock that agrees with Einstein's result to several decimal places for the time of the slower clock at the velocity of the planet Mercury, which was the proof that scientists used that the equations used by Einstein were correct.

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
Your program does not allow times that do not consider the time of a GPS clock on earth as being a force that contracts lengths, warps space, and destroys mathematics as being correct. The equations I used were all in agreement with Galilean relativity and agree with Einstein's calculation for time to several decimal places at the speed of the planet Mercury.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy
Once your work has been published, we can discuss it here.

In the meantime, I suggest working through an introductory text on Special Relativity. Feel free to ask any questions in the relativity forum.

Likes renormalize, DeBangis21, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person