Calculating Probabilities of Mutually Exclusive Events in Infinite Series

In summary, the given expression \sum^{inf}_{n=1} P(E)*P(1-p)^{n-1}, where p = P(E) + P(F), simplifies to P(E)/((P(E)+P(F)), and is used to find the probability of event E before event F in a sample space of a new experiment where E and F are mutually exclusive events.
Somefantastik
I'm having trouble picking apart this summation:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=1}[/tex] P(E)*P(1-p)[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]; where p = P(E) + P(F)

I know I need to use the identity of a geometrical series when |r| < 1 : 1/(1-r)

I'm getting [tex]P(E)/(1-(P(E)+P(F))[/tex]

But I need to be getting P(E)/((P(E)+P(F));

The entire problem is

Let E & F be mutually exclusive events in the sample space of an experiment. Suppose that the exp is repeated until either event E or F occurs. What does the sample space of hte new super experiment look like? Show that the probability of event E before event F is P(E)/(P(E)+P(F)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Somefantastik said:
I'm having trouble picking apart this summation:

[tex]\sum[/tex][tex]^{inf}_{n=1}[/tex] P(E)*P(1-p)[tex]^{n-1}[/tex]; where p = P(E) + P(F)
That's a bit confusing. If p= P(E)- P(F), then what is just P by itself? Asuming your terms are just A(1-p)n-1, then I would be inclined to first change the summation index: let i= n-1 so this becomes
[tex\\sum_{i=0}^\infty A(1-p)^i[/tex]
That sum is, of course,
[tex]\frac{A}{1- (1-p)}= \frac{A}{p}= \frac{P(E)*P}{P(E)+ P(F)}[/tex]
because 1-(1-p)= p. I can't say more because I am still not sure what "P" is.

I know I need to use the identity of a geometrical series when |r| < 1 : 1/(1-r)

I'm getting [tex]P(E)/(1-(P(E)+P(F))[/tex]

But I need to be getting P(E)/((P(E)+P(F));

The entire problem is

Let E & F be mutually exclusive events in the sample space of an experiment. Suppose that the exp is repeated until either event E or F occurs. What does the sample space of hte new super experiment look like? Show that the probability of event E before event F is P(E)/(P(E)+P(F)).

Its a probability question, so P(1-p) is just the probability that p has not occurred yet, where p = P(E U F). Since E,F are mutually exclusive, can say p = P(E) + P(F).

But you pretty much answered my question...naturally it was a mistake in arithmetic. Thanks for helping me with that...sometimes one gets so wrapped up in the global outcome of the problem and loses track of the little details.

Related to Calculating Probabilities of Mutually Exclusive Events in Infinite Series

What is the summation of an infinite series?

The summation of an infinite series is the value obtained by adding up an infinite number of terms in a sequence. It is denoted by the symbol ∑ and is commonly used in mathematics and physics.

How is the summation of an infinite series calculated?

The summation of an infinite series is calculated using a specific formula or method, depending on the type of series. Some common methods include geometric series, telescoping series, and power series. The formula for each method involves finding a common ratio or pattern and applying it to the terms of the series.

Can an infinite series have a finite sum?

Yes, an infinite series can have a finite sum if the terms of the series approach 0 as the number of terms increases. This is known as a convergent series. However, not all infinite series have a finite sum, and those that do not are known as divergent series.

What is the significance of summation of infinite series in real-life applications?

The summation of infinite series is used in various real-life applications, such as calculating the value of investments, estimating population growth, and determining the area under a curve in calculus. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

What is the difference between a finite and an infinite series?

A finite series has a fixed number of terms, while an infinite series has an unlimited number of terms. In a finite series, the sum can be calculated by simply adding up all the terms, whereas in an infinite series, a specific formula or method must be used to calculate the sum.