Exploring the Convergence of p^n Cos (nx) and p^n Sin (nx)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of two series, $\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n Cos nx$ and $p^n Sin (nx)$, using DeMoivre's theorem and the geometric series formula. After some calculations, it is determined that the series will converge if $|p| < 1$. The use of Euler's formula makes the calculations easier to solve.
ognik
They ask for both $ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n Cos nx, also \: p^n Sin (nx) $

I'm thinking De Moivre so \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}p^n (e^{ix})^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n(Cos x + i Sin x)^n= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (pCos x + ip Sin x)^n\)

I also tried a geometric series with a=1, $r=pe^{ix}$

But those won't work out with the limit of $\infty$, so any hints please?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
They ask for both $ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n Cos nx, also \: p^n Sin (nx) $

I'm thinking De Moivre so \(\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}p^n (e^{ix})^n = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} p^n(Cos x + i Sin x)^n= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (pCos x + ip Sin x)^n\)

I also tried a geometric series with a=1, $r=pe^{ix}$

But those won't work out with the limit of $\infty$, so any hints please?

What makes you think the limit is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \infty \end{align*}$? The geometric series is convergent where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} |r| < 1 \end{align*}$, so where

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| p\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,x} \right| &< 1 \\ \left| p \right| \left| \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,x} \right| &< 1 \\ \left| p \right| \cdot 1 &< 1 \\ \left| p \right| &< 1 \end{align*}$

As long as you have $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| p \right| < 1 \end{align*}$ the series is convergent.Also $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \equiv \cos{ \left( \theta \right) } + \mathrm{i}\sin{ \left( \theta \right) } \end{align*}$ is Euler, not DeMoivre...

Thanks Proove it, I was thinking $s_n = \frac{1-r^n}{1-r}$, but if |p| < 1 then |r| < 1 and $s_n = \frac{1}{1-r} = \frac{1}{1-pe^{ix}}$ and with Euler's help it all works out fairly easily :-)

Related to Exploring the Convergence of p^n Cos (nx) and p^n Sin (nx)

1. What is the general formula for p^n cos nx?

The general formula for p^n cos nx is p^n cos nx = (p^n/2)[e^(i(n+1)x) + e^(i(n-1)x)]. This formula is used to represent the series expansion of a function in terms of its trigonometric components.

2. How is the series formula for p^n cos nx derived?

The series formula for p^n cos nx can be derived using the Euler's formula, which states that e^(ix) = cos x + i sin x. By substituting this formula into the general formula for p^n cos nx and simplifying, we can obtain the desired series formula.

3. What is the significance of p^n cos nx in mathematics?

p^n cos nx plays a crucial role in Fourier analysis, which is a mathematical technique that breaks down a function into its constituent frequencies. It is also used in various fields of physics, such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

4. Can the series formula for p^n cos nx be extended to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the series formula for p^n cos nx can be extended to other trigonometric functions, such as sin nx and tan nx. These formulas are derived using similar techniques and can be used to represent the series expansion of any function in terms of its trigonometric components.

5. How is the series formula for p^n cos nx used in real-life applications?

The series formula for p^n cos nx is widely used in engineering and science to analyze and model periodic phenomena. It is also used in fields such as music theory, where it is used to break down musical signals into their constituent frequencies. Additionally, this formula is used in the design of filters and control systems.