Calculating Probabilities of a dice roll

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct way to calculate the probability of rolling three sixes when throwing four dice. The order of the rolls does not matter and there are four possible combinations. The correct calculation is to use 5/6 on the first roll and 1/6 for the remaining rolls. The final probability is 0.0163 or 1.63%. The individual asking for clarification confirms that the calculation was done correctly.
Routaran
I'm trying to figure out how to correctly workout the probability of rolling 3 6's if I roll 4 dice at a time. If I roll 3 sixes in a row, I don't bother with the last roll
The order in which I roll them doesn't matter
So here are my potential combinations
Combination 1 => x 6 6 6
Combination 2 => 6 x 6 6
Combination 3 => 6 6 x 6
Combination 4 => 6 6 6

Combination 1/2/3 are the same - I used 5/6 on the first roll because I'm assuming I didn't roll a six
(5/6) (1/6) (1/6) (1/6) = (5/1296) = 0.0039
Combination 4
(1/6) (1/6) (1/6) = (1/216) = 0.0046

I add up the different combinations of rolling the 6s
3(0.0039) + 0.0046 = 0.0163
My odds of rolling 3 sixes on 4 rolls is 0.0163

Did I do this correctly?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes. That is one correct way to proceed. Arranging things so that x is always in the range 1-5 avoids the pitfall of double-counting certain cases. You have successfully accounted for the 4-sixes case as one of the underlying possibilities for case 4.
Rounding in the calculation means that your last digit is incorrect, but it is only off by one.

Related to Calculating Probabilities of a dice roll

What is the probability of rolling a specific number on a single six-sided dice?

The probability of rolling a specific number on a single six-sided dice is 1/6 or approximately 16.67%.

What is the probability of rolling a certain sum with two dice?

The probability of rolling a certain sum with two dice can be calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes that result in that sum by the total number of possible outcomes (36). For example, the probability of rolling a sum of 7 is 6/36 or 1/6.

How do you calculate the probability of rolling a number higher than a given number?

To calculate the probability of rolling a number higher than a given number, you first need to determine the number of possible outcomes that are higher than the given number. Then, divide that number by the total number of possible outcomes (6 for a single dice, 36 for two dice). For example, the probability of rolling a number higher than 4 on a single dice is 2/6 or 1/3.

What is the probability of rolling a specific sequence of numbers with multiple dice?

The probability of rolling a specific sequence of numbers with multiple dice can be calculated by multiplying the probabilities of each individual roll. For example, the probability of rolling a sequence of 2, 4, and 6 with three dice is (1/6)*(1/6)*(1/6) = 1/216.

What is the probability of rolling a certain number at least once in a given number of rolls?

The probability of rolling a certain number at least once in a given number of rolls can be calculated using the complement rule. First, calculate the probability of not rolling the desired number in one roll (5/6 for a single dice). Then, raise this probability to the power of the number of rolls. Finally, subtract this value from 1 to get the probability of rolling the desired number at least once. For example, the probability of rolling a 6 at least once in three rolls is 1 - (5/6)^3 = 91/216.