Calculating Nitrogen Specific Volume for Scientists

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the specific volume of Nitrogen at different temperature and pressures. The suggested method is to use the formula PV=nRT, where R is constant and n is the number of moles in 1kg of Nitrogen. This method has been confirmed as the correct way to calculate the specific volume.
mikebb
I need some help in calculating the specific volume ( in cubic metres per kg) of Nitrogen at various temperature + pressures. Eg, at 100.73K and 817kPa. Can anyone please point me in the right direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried PV=nRT? Just convert 1 kg to number of moles.

--

You mean if I already have P and T, then all I need are R and n to calculate v ? R is constant, so I just need n. Do you mean I need to express n as the number of moles in 1kg of nitrogen ?

Yes, that's the way to do it.

--

that's great , thanks

Related to Calculating Nitrogen Specific Volume for Scientists

1. What is the specific volume of Nitrogen?

The specific volume of Nitrogen is a measure of the amount of space occupied by one unit mass of Nitrogen at a given temperature and pressure. It is expressed in units of volume per unit mass, such as cubic meters per kilogram (m^3/kg).

2. How is the specific volume of Nitrogen calculated?

The specific volume of Nitrogen can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas. It can also be calculated using the specific gas constant for Nitrogen and the molecular weight of Nitrogen.

3. What is the specific gas constant for Nitrogen?

The specific gas constant for Nitrogen is 0.2968 kJ/kg*K. This value is a constant that relates the molar mass of Nitrogen to its specific volume, pressure, and temperature.

4. How does the specific volume of Nitrogen change with temperature and pressure?

The specific volume of Nitrogen is directly proportional to temperature and inversely proportional to pressure. This means that as temperature increases, the specific volume of Nitrogen also increases, and as pressure increases, the specific volume decreases.

5. Why is the specific volume of Nitrogen important in scientific research?

The specific volume of Nitrogen is important in scientific research because it is often used in the analysis of gas behavior and thermodynamic processes. It is also used in the design and operation of various industrial processes, such as in the production of ammonia and other nitrogen-based compounds.