EV per Torr*cm -- What does it mean?

In summary, the conversation was about the ionization constant of a nitrogen laser, which is measured in eV per Torr*cm of pressure. This constant is explained by Paschen's Law, which relates the electric field strength to the energy required for ionization and takes into account the pressure of the gas. In SI units, the constant is measured in eV per unit of surface area.
DariusP
I was reading about this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_laser

and it says "80 to 100 eV per Torr*cm pressure of nitrogen gas". I'm finding this a little bit confusing. It needs some specific amount of energy in a centimeter of volume with 1 Torr of pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t see that in the article, but I can explain the unit.

That is an ionization constant. See the wiki article on Paschen’s Law:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law
This constant relates the electric field strength to the energy per collision required to cause ionization and so sustain a discharge. The pressure is in there because the energy accumulated by a particle depends on the distance over which it is accelerated by the field, so the energy per collision depends on the mean free path length which is inversely proportional to the pressure.

Note that for a laser this constant is not necessarily for the minimum energy for discharge, but sets the energy per collision high enough to excite the lasing state.

Likes DariusP
Cutter Ketch said:
I don’t see that in the article, but I can explain the unit.

That is an ionization constant. See the wiki article on Paschen’s Law:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paschen's_law
This constant relates the electric field strength to the energy per collision required to cause ionization and so sustain a discharge. The pressure is in there because the energy accumulated by a particle depends on the distance over which it is accelerated by the field, so the energy per collision depends on the mean free path length which is inversely proportional to the pressure.

Note that for a laser this constant is not necessarily for the minimum energy for discharge, but sets the energy per collision high enough to excite the lasing state.
Love you, thank you very much

it is in surface area units. In SI units it is
eV per Torr*cm=##\frac{q_e*V}{Torr*cm}=\frac{1.60217646*10^{-19}*C*V}{133.322*Pa*m/100}=\frac{1.60217646*10^{-17}*C*V}{133.322*N/m}=1.2017344924318567*10^{-19}*m^2##

Related to EV per Torr*cm -- What does it mean?

1. What is EV per Torr*cm?

EV per Torr*cm is a unit used to measure the electric field strength in a vacuum. It is a combination of the electric potential (EV), which is measured in volts, and the distance between two points in a vacuum (Torr*cm).

2. How is EV per Torr*cm calculated?

The electric field strength in a vacuum can be calculated by dividing the electric potential (EV) by the distance between two points in a vacuum (Torr*cm).

3. What is the significance of EV per Torr*cm in scientific research?

EV per Torr*cm is an important measurement in scientific research, particularly in the study of electrical conductivity and vacuum technology. It is often used to measure the electric field strength in high-vacuum environments, such as in particle accelerators and plasma chambers.

4. How does EV per Torr*cm differ from other units of electric field strength?

EV per Torr*cm is a specific unit used in vacuum technology, while other units of electric field strength, such as volts per meter, are used in other contexts. The difference lies in the measurement of the distance between two points, with EV per Torr*cm specifically referring to the distance in a vacuum.

5. Can EV per Torr*cm be converted to other units?

Yes, EV per Torr*cm can be converted to other units of electric field strength, such as volts per meter or newtons per coulomb. However, the conversion factor will depend on the specific context and the properties of the vacuum being measured.