Plotting Potential in Plasma Sheath

In summary, the conversation revolves around plotting the potential of quasi-neutral plasma as a function of length. The plasma potential is expected to drop at the front of the wall due to particle acceleration by the electric field. The individual is trying to plot the potential with a specific length, but is unable to find the exact solution. They propose to use Excel and request suggestions or references. Baluncore offers to help and asks for a drawing or sketch showing the boundary positions and potentials. The individual clarifies that it is a 1-dimensional problem in several Debye lengths and they have experimental data they want to compare with the model.
niranama
Hi! everyone. I'm looking to plot potential of quasi-neutral plasma as a function of length. I know that plasma potential will drop at front of the wall from particle acceleration by electric field. I assume plasma is an electrostatic and cold (less collision). However, I'm trying to plot plasma potential with a length but I can't find the exact solution of potential for plotting. I'm going to assign initial density of electron and proton equally and are 10^15 particle per cubic metre, 10 eV for ellectron and ion temperature, and I gave -20 eV for biased wall potential. If anyone has some suggestion or references, please be kind to provide me. I propose to plot potential by excel. Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It seems the field mapping problem you have is tractable.
There is a numerical solution, there may also be an analytic solution.

Is this a 2D problem, or an axis symmetrical problem?

Please attach a drawing or sketch to your next post, that shows the boundary positions and scale, along with the boundary potentials.

Likes sophiecentaur
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

It seems the field mapping problem you have is tractable.
There is a numerical solution, there may also be an analytic solution.

Is this a 2D problem, or an axis symmetrical problem?

Please attach a drawing or sketch to your next post, that shows the boundary positions and scale, along with the boundary potentials.
Hi! Baluncore. My problem is in 1 dimension and in several Debye length. Here I recieved my experimental data and I want to compare with model to find statistical errors and other discussions.
PF-phi-20eV.png

1. What is plasma sheath?

Plasma sheath is a layer of ionized gas (plasma) that forms around a charged object in a plasma environment. It is formed due to the interaction between the charged object and the surrounding plasma.

2. How is the plotting potential in plasma sheath measured?

The plotting potential in plasma sheath is typically measured using Langmuir probes. These probes are small electrodes that are inserted into the plasma sheath and measure the current and voltage at different points. The data collected from the probes can then be used to plot the potential in the plasma sheath.

3. What factors affect the plotting potential in plasma sheath?

The plotting potential in plasma sheath is affected by several factors, including the properties of the charged object (such as its size and shape), the properties of the surrounding plasma (such as its density and temperature), and the electric field in the plasma sheath.

4. Why is understanding the plotting potential in plasma sheath important?

Understanding the plotting potential in plasma sheath is important because it can provide valuable information about the behavior of plasma and its interaction with charged objects. This information is crucial for various applications, such as plasma processing and spacecraft propulsion.

5. How can the plotting potential in plasma sheath be controlled?

The plotting potential in plasma sheath can be controlled by adjusting the properties of the charged object or the surrounding plasma. This can be done by changing the electric field in the plasma sheath or by introducing additional charged particles into the plasma. Additionally, external electric or magnetic fields can also be used to control the plotting potential in plasma sheath.