Calculating Mass of Oil in Cylindrical Core

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mass of oil in a cylindrical core that is partially filled and has different porosity levels. The solution is to use the density of oil multiplied by the volume needed to fill, and to find the center of mass by computing the center of mass of each component and taking a weighted average. The final formula for calculation is also provided.
Miro
Hi everybody,
didn't really know where to put this thread since it's physics using math, so I'm sorry if it's not in its appropriate place.

My problem is:
I need to compute the mass of oil in a cylindrical core put into a core holder.it's partially filled of oil. I didn't know how to numerically calculate it knowing that the porosity of the core is different of the outside annular's one.

I'd be so thankful if u could help. :smile:

PS: it's none of HW, but I need it in a project I'm working on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well if you know the density of oil (mass per volume) you can just multiply the density by the volume that you need to fill to find the mass needed.

Was that your question?

It wasn't really my question,

it's some kind of discreet summation over the volume which contains two different media (porous medium & fracture: 2 different porosities).

PS: it's about cylindrical coordinates

hope it's clear..

You want to find the center of mass of the system then? If so, just compute the center of mass of each component and compute the weighted average of them as though they were point-masses.

benorin said:
You want to find the center of mass of the system then? If so, just compute the center of mass of each component and compute the weighted average of them as though they were point-masses.

Not really, thanks anyway, I found out how to do it:
sum(2*3.14*porosity(i,j,k)*r(i)*dr(i)*dz(k)*density)

where (i,j,k) are the coordinates of a point,
r(i) the radius,
dr(i) the radius variation,
dz(k) the height variation.

:smile: thanks 4 everybody,

Related to Calculating Mass of Oil in Cylindrical Core

1. How do you calculate the mass of oil in a cylindrical core?

To calculate the mass of oil in a cylindrical core, you will need to know the density of the oil, the volume of the core, and the length of the core. You can then use the formula: mass = density x volume x length. Make sure to use consistent units for all measurements.

2. What is the density of oil?

The density of oil can vary depending on the type of oil and its temperature. Generally, crude oil has a density of around 0.85 to 0.95 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³). However, it is important to use the specific density of the oil you are working with for more accurate calculations.

3. How do you measure the volume of a cylindrical core?

To measure the volume of a cylindrical core, you will need to know its radius and its length. The formula for the volume of a cylinder is V = πr²h, where π is approximately 3.14, r is the radius, and h is the height or length of the cylinder. Make sure to use consistent units for all measurements.

4. Can you calculate the mass of oil in a partially filled cylindrical core?

Yes, you can calculate the mass of oil in a partially filled cylindrical core by first calculating the volume of the oil using the formula mentioned above. Then, you can multiply the volume by the density of the oil to get the mass. If the core is partially filled, you will need to subtract the volume of the air or other substance in the core from the total volume before calculating the mass.

5. How accurate are mass calculations for cylindrical cores?

The accuracy of mass calculations for cylindrical cores depends on the accuracy of the measurements and the consistency of units used. Make sure to use precise measurements and to convert all units to the same system before calculating the mass. Additionally, the accuracy may also be affected by any irregularities or imperfections in the cylindrical core itself.