Energy needed to stop the Earth's inner core ---and its effects?

In summary: This means that if we wanted to stop the inner core rotation relative to the mantle, we would need an energy input of 720 terajoules, or about 2.5 x 10 to the 18th power. This is obviously not possible. If someone wants to calculate how much energy would be needed to stop the inner core rotation relative to the mantle, they should consider the following:-The inner core rotation rate, relative to the crust, is of the order of 0.5 degree per year. -The period of rotation is; T ≈ 720 years. -The amount of energy needed to stop the rotation would be in the range of 2.5 x 10 to the
xpell
This is not for any kind of homework ---the last time that I went to school was 30+ years ago. However, I am a curious person, I've been asked by other people who know that I love science and I need to calculate this:

As you will most possibly know, a misreading of this paper by the media caused kind of a "panic" about how the Earth's inner core had stopped or even reversed its rotation and its "apocalyptic" effects, etc. When asked, I immediately knew that it wasn't possible ---by energetic reasons, to start with. I more-or-less thought that stopping the core relative to the mantle would need immense amounts of energy "appeared out of the blue" whose application would be truly apocalyptic ---basically, destroying the Earth. Which was and is obviously impossible.

Well, now I've been challenged to "prove it" by the usual you-know-whos and I'd like to calculate how much energy would be actually needed to stop the inner core rotation relative to the mantle, and its effects on the Earth. However, as I said, last time I went to school was 30+ years ago... and that was high school. I initially thought that a simple calculation of the rotational kinetic energy needed to deccelerate the inner core to 0 would be enough, but I'm now realizing that it's possibly more complex than that ---and I'd still wouldn't know how to translate the results into "Earth destruction units".

So... please, is anybody here kind enough to help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Earth's surface crust rotates relative to the stars, once each sidereal day, which is about 23 hours 56 minutes and 4 seconds. Everything inside the Earth rotates at very close to the Earth's crust rotation rate.

Because the Earth's outer core is liquid, the solid inner core can rotate very slightly faster or slower than the crust. That can be measured by changes in the phase of earthquake waves that travel through the inner core, both ways around the Earth.

To calculate the energy needed to stop that relative rotation, we need to know how much faster or slower the inner core is now rotating relative to the crust. If the relative rate has changed recently, then the relative rate will now be very low.

Work out the angular kinetic energy of the inner core rotation, using the moment of inertia of a solid sphere, assuming it was rotating exactly once each sidereal day. Then work out the actual energy of the inner core at the rate it is now rotating. The difference between those, is the energy needed to slow down, or to speed up, the inner core to the same rate as the Earth's crust.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71, PeroK and topsquark
xpell said:
I more-or-less thought that stopping the core relative to the mantle would need immense amounts of energy
This seems to be a misconception. Reducing the difference in rotation speed between inner core and mantle can release energy. The total kinetic energy of those two can be lowered by syncing their rotation. This released energy can go into heat or kinetic energy of the liquid outer core.

Likes vanhees71
The trouble lies with this phrase.

inner-core rotation has recently paused

If it had really gone to zero relative to the Sun that would indeed be cataclysmic. But it's clear that they mean that the core and mantle have in the past decade been rotating at the same angular velocity. Usually there is some small difference. In the past decade, not.

You can get the average density of the core, the average radius of the core, and estimate the angular momentum. Then translate that into trillions of Megatons or something like that. But I would guess that nevertheless your friends will keep on believing whatever they feel like believing, which will be whatever most of their friends believe. If you persist in deviation maybe they will no longer consider you a friend. So in situations like this I usually nod sagely and keep my mouth shut.

Likes vanhees71
Hornbein said:
If it had really gone to zero relative to the Sun that would indeed be cataclysmic.
This might be the misconception of the people "panicking" about it. But @xpell seems to have the misconception that stopping the relative rotation between inner core and mantle would require external energy input.

Likes vanhees71 and Hornbein
Any differential velocity represents a potential source of energy.

The inner core rotation rate, relative to the crust, is of the order of 0.5 degree per year.
Therefore, the period of rotation is; T ≈ 720 years.

• Informative
Likes vanhees71

1. How much energy would be needed to stop the Earth's inner core?

The exact amount of energy needed to stop the Earth's inner core is unknown, as it is constantly rotating and the exact speed and composition of the core are still being studied. However, it is estimated that it would take a tremendous amount of energy, likely in the range of billions or trillions of joules.

2. What would happen if the Earth's inner core stopped rotating?

If the Earth's inner core were to suddenly stop rotating, it would have a significant effect on the planet. The Earth's magnetic field, which is generated by the movement of the inner core, would weaken and eventually disappear. This would leave the planet vulnerable to harmful solar radiation and could potentially have a negative impact on life on Earth.

3. Is it possible for the Earth's inner core to stop rotating?

While it is theoretically possible for the Earth's inner core to stop rotating, it is highly unlikely to happen. The core is primarily composed of iron and nickel, which are both highly conductive materials. This means that any slight movement or change in temperature within the core would generate electrical currents, which in turn would keep the core rotating.

4. What factors could potentially affect the rotation of the Earth's inner core?

The rotation of the Earth's inner core is influenced by a number of factors, including the Earth's magnetic field, the surrounding mantle, and the distribution of mass within the planet. Changes in these factors, such as shifts in the Earth's magnetic poles or large earthquakes, could potentially affect the rotation of the inner core.

5. How does the rotation of the Earth's inner core impact our planet?

The rotation of the Earth's inner core plays a crucial role in the planet's overall dynamics. It helps generate the Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation and guides migratory animals. The core's rotation also contributes to the movement of tectonic plates and the overall circulation of the Earth's mantle. Without the rotation of the inner core, our planet would be a very different place.