Calculating Jump Time of a Star in the Long Jump

In summary, the star in the long jump has an initial velocity of 12 m/s and launches at an angle of 20.0 degrees. Using the equation vfy/g, a student attempted to find the time in the air but did not get the correct answer. After adding the downfall time and correctly factoring the mass, the total time in the air was found to be 0.8376 seconds.
Makaroon

Homework Statement

A star in the long jump goes into the jump at 12 m/s and launches herself at 20.0 degrees above the horizontal. How long is she in the air before returning to Earth? (g=9.81 m/s2)

Homework Equations

first I look for the v0(cos) and then I look for vfy= v0(sin)
I used vfy/g and I don't get the answer. I have the answer which is .83 s
but I can't get it on my own...

The Attempt at a Solution

I used vfy/g to get the time, but I don't get the correct answer I get .4

Physics news on Phys.org
Makaroon said:

Homework Statement

A star in the long jump goes into the jump at 12 m/s and launches herself at 20.0 degrees above the horizontal. How long is she in the air before returning to Earth? (g=9.81 m/s2)

You probably just forgot the downfall time. Here's what the setup is like for finding the half-time in the air.
0 = (m)(v) - (F)(t)
Add a sine function to represent the vertical velocity
0 = (m)(v)sin(theta) - (m)(g)(t)
factor out the mass and start filling in values
0 = (12)sin(20) - (9.8)(t)
t = 0.4188 going up
Add another 0.4188 for the going down to get a total of 0.8376 seconds.

thanks! yes I get it now, I was forgetting to multiply the time with the gravity.
thanks again. :)

Related to Calculating Jump Time of a Star in the Long Jump

What is the purpose of calculating the jump time of a star in the long jump?

The purpose of calculating the jump time of a star in the long jump is to understand the motion and trajectory of stars in our universe. It can also help us determine the age and distance of stars, as well as their potential for future evolution.

How is jump time calculated for stars in the long jump?

Jump time is calculated by using the equation t = d/v, where t is time, d is distance, and v is velocity. For stars, we observe their distance from Earth and their apparent velocity to calculate their jump time.

What factors can affect the accuracy of jump time calculations for stars?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of jump time calculations for stars include uncertainties in distance measurements, variations in a star's velocity, and potential gravitational interactions with other objects in the universe.

Why is it important to calculate the jump time of stars accurately?

Accurate jump time calculations for stars are crucial for understanding the behavior and evolution of these celestial objects. They also play a significant role in cosmology, as they help us determine the age and expansion rate of the universe.

Can jump time be calculated for all stars in the universe?

No, jump time can only be calculated for stars that are visible to us and have known distances and velocities. Stars that are too far away or obscured by interstellar dust cannot have their jump time accurately calculated.