An olympic long jumper question

• Thread starter Purp1eM0nsta
  • Start date
In summary: This would give you: It's a bit hard to read the handwritten algebra (@Purp1eM0nsta , images are for diagrams and textbook extracts; please type algebra into the posts), but it looks to me that the penultimate line finishes with ##\frac 12 a_xt^2##, and a squiggle in the final line could be a zero substituted for the ##a_x##. This would give you:##\frac {1}{9} \left( {a_xt^2} \right)##
Purp1eM0nsta
Homework Statement
Long jumping
Relevant Equations
https://ibb.co/5GHjb2c

Trying to answer this question I made and turn it into a slideshow presentation on how to solve it​

renderTimingPixel.png

I need to make a presentation on "the physics of long jumping" and one part I am struggling with is showing how to answer this question, I am struggling because i forget the important knowledge easily, and looking back at notes I've made confuses me even more, if i could have someone help me by taking a look at how I originally solved it, and explaining how i did actually do it? I am so sorry i just have a lot of learning struggles and i was paired with one of the most off-hands do it yourself teachers ever, so this has NOT been a good year for me :(
An olympic long jumper, initially going at a speed of 9 meters per second jumps with a take-off angle of 25 degrees.
Find:
-The amount of time the jumper stays in the air
-The horizontal distance the long jumper went
My work that I don't understand anymore/cant figure out how to convert into a slideshow presentation: https://ibb.co/5GHjb2c
if you need more context I'd be more than willing to give you chat logs i had with another tutor online, please help!

1652317417560.png

[Mentor Note -- Image pasted from external link into the thread]

Physics news on Phys.org
Purp1eM0nsta said:
Homework Statement:: Long jumping
Relevant Equations:: https://ibb.co/5GHjb2c

An olympic long jumper, initially going at a speed of 9 meters per second
Why do you show a different number for ##V_{ix}## in the image of your work?

You say that the acceleration in the x-direction is zero and that is correct. However, the expression you have for x as a function of time does not reflect that observation and is incorrect.

kuruman said:
You say that the acceleration in the x-direction is zero and that is correct. However, the expression you have for x as a function of time does not reflect that observation and is incorrect.
It's a bit hard to read the handwritten algebra (@Purp1eM0nsta , images are for diagrams and textbook extracts; please type algebra into the posts), but it looks to me that the penultimate line finishes with ##\frac 12 a_xt^2##, and a squiggle in the final line could be a zero substituted for the ##a_x##.

What is the world record for the longest long jump in the Olympics?

The current world record for the longest long jump in the Olympics is held by Mike Powell, with a distance of 8.95 meters (29 feet 4 1/4 inches). This record was set in 1991 and still stands today.

What are the key techniques used by Olympic long jumpers?

Some key techniques used by Olympic long jumpers include the approach run, takeoff, flight, and landing. The approach run involves building up speed and momentum before the takeoff. The takeoff involves jumping off one foot and extending the body forward. During the flight, the athlete must maintain proper body position and control. The landing requires proper technique to avoid fouling and to maximize the distance of the jump.

How is the winner determined in Olympic long jump?

The winner in Olympic long jump is determined by the distance of their best jump. Each athlete has a total of six attempts, and the longest jump out of those six is their final score. If multiple athletes have the same distance, the winner is determined by the second-longest jump, and so on.

What are the common mistakes made by Olympic long jumpers?

Some common mistakes made by Olympic long jumpers include poor approach run technique, improper takeoff and flight technique, and faulty landing technique. Other mistakes include not properly pacing their jumps, not adjusting for wind or other environmental factors, and not maintaining proper body control throughout the jump.

How do Olympic long jumpers train for the event?

Olympic long jumpers typically train by practicing the key techniques mentioned earlier, including the approach run, takeoff, flight, and landing. They also focus on building strength, speed, and explosiveness through weight training and plyometric exercises. Endurance training is also important for maintaining proper form throughout the jump. Mental training and visualization techniques are also commonly used to prepare for the pressure of competition.