Calculating Insurance Premiums with Variable Damages and Probabilities

In summary, the conversation discusses how an insurance company can determine the appropriate premium to charge in order to make an expected profit of $150. The company's damages and their corresponding probabilities are given, and the expected value is calculated. The discussion also touches on the concept of deductibles and how they affect the company's profit. Ultimately, it is determined that the premium should be set at $800 in order to achieve the desired profit margin.
war485

Homework Statement

Suppose that one year, an insurance company incurred dollar damages,
X, in four different amounts with probabilities, p(x), shown below:

X

p(x)

If the company offers a $500 deductable and wants and wants an
expected profit of $150, how much should it charge for the premium?

Homework Equations

Not even sure what's relevant here. Maybe the expected value is involved somehow:
E(x) = sum ( x*p(x) ) = 800

The Attempt at a Solution

How would I even go about with a problem like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the premium is P, what is the company's profit when damages = $0? How about when damages = $1000?

company's profit is $500 for 0 damage and -$500 profit for 1000 damage.

You're not including the premium P, the amount the customer pays for the insurance policy.

First the customer pays the insurance company an amount P. Then later, the company pays back to the customer an amount depending on what the damages are.

I think I'm getting it.
So overall, if I made up an equation, would this seem right?
Premium = profit + (damages - deductable)
so then my answer should be $800

That's right.

(Of course, whenever damages are less than the deductible, no payment is made, but it looks like you realize that.)

thanks! ^.^

Related to Calculating Insurance Premiums with Variable Damages and Probabilities

What is a "Struggling Stats Word Problem"?

A "Struggling Stats Word Problem" is a type of problem that involves interpreting and analyzing data in order to solve a real-world issue or scenario. It typically requires the use of statistical concepts and methods to find a solution.

Why are "Struggling Stats Word Problems" important?

"Struggling Stats Word Problems" are important because they allow us to apply statistical thinking to real-life situations and make informed decisions based on data. They also help us develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common challenges when solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems"?

Some common challenges when solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems" include identifying relevant information and variables, understanding and choosing the appropriate statistical methods, and interpreting and communicating the results accurately.

How can I improve my skills in solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems"?

You can improve your skills in solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems" by practicing regularly, familiarizing yourself with statistical concepts and methods, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and instructors.

Are there any tips for solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems" more efficiently?

Some tips for solving "Struggling Stats Word Problems" more efficiently include breaking down the problem into smaller steps, using visual aids such as graphs and charts, checking for errors and inconsistencies, and double-checking your work.