Calculating Improper Integral w/ Power Series of r=1

In summary: I don't know anything about convergence for lx>1.This is correct. The power series converges for all x within the given range.
aaaa202
At exam today I was to calculate an improper integral of a function f defined by a power series.
The power series had radius of convergence r=1.
Inside this radius you could of course integrate each term, i.e. symbologically:
∫Ʃ = Ʃ∫
The only problem is that the improper integral went from 0 to 1.
Is it then true that:
limx->1[∫Ʃ ]=limx->1[Ʃ∫]
and what theorem assures this? At the exam I didn't think about this unfortunately, but I would probably not have known what to do anyways. I think there is a theorem called Abels theorem which shows that a power series is continuous also in x=±r, but I'm not sure if that's what I am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with uniform convergence?

Abel's theorem basically says that if a series converges at x = R, it converges uniformly over the interval
0 ≤ x ≤ R.

As a consequence, you can also observe uniform convergence over the interval -R ≤ x ≤ 0.

A corollary would be that it converges on -R ≤ x ≤ R.

Last edited:
Yes I am familiar with uniform convergence. And you agree that from what I told you I would have had to invoke Abels theorem to give a satisfactory answer?

aaaa202 said:
Yes I am familiar with uniform convergence. And you agree that from what I told you I would have had to invoke Abels theorem to give a satisfactory answer?

Uniform convergence would be a sufficient condition for you to be able to switch limits/derivatives/integrals around. So yes, Abel's theorem could be used here as it guarantees the uniform convergence over the whole interval [-R,R].

I don't think you need anything fancy at all. Assuming that your variable x is "integrate from 0 to x" then for every x<1, the thing you have written in square brackets [ ] is equal whether the integration or the summation comes first, because you're integrating over [0,x] which is bounded away from 1. You just did algebra inside the limit which is legal for the values of x that you are considering

Im switching 2 limits:
limx->1limn->∞[Ʃanxn] = limn->∞limx->1[Ʃanxn]
I only know that the power series converges for lxl<1

Related to Calculating Improper Integral w/ Power Series of r=1

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the integrand is unbounded at some point within the limits of integration. This means that the integral cannot be evaluated using standard methods and may require a special technique, such as using a power series.

2. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series in the form of a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + ... where an are constants and x is the variable. It is a useful tool in calculus for approximating functions and evaluating integrals, especially for functions that cannot be easily integrated using other methods.

3. How do you calculate an improper integral using a power series?

To calculate an improper integral using a power series, you must first determine the power series representation of the integrand. Then, you can use known formulas for evaluating power series, such as the geometric series formula or the binomial series formula, to find the value of the integral. It is important to check the convergence of the power series before using it to evaluate the integral.

4. What is the radius of convergence of a power series?

The radius of convergence of a power series is the distance from the center of the series to the nearest point where the series diverges. In the context of calculating an improper integral, the radius of convergence is important because it determines the limits of integration that can be used. If the radius of convergence is less than 1, the series will diverge at the point x=1 and the integral cannot be evaluated using the power series.

5. Are there any limitations to using a power series to calculate improper integrals?

Yes, there are limitations to using a power series to calculate improper integrals. The series must converge for all values within the limits of integration, and the function must be integrable on the interval. Additionally, the radius of convergence must be greater than or equal to 1 for the series to be useful in evaluating the integral. If these conditions are not met, alternative methods must be used to evaluate the integral.