Calculating Horizontal Force of Toy Car Wheels

In summary, to find out the horizontal force exerted by the wheels on a toy car, you need to know the acceleration and coefficient of friction. If you also know the mass of the car and if friction is the only horizontal force, you can use Newton's 2nd law. However, since the mass is not given, you cannot calculate the normal force. Knowing that the electric motor directly drives one of the rear wheels and has a torque of 0.0382 Nm and a rotational speed of 15 rev/s, as well as the wheel size, may provide additional information but it is unclear how it could be applied.
saracen
How do i find out the horizontal force the wheels on a toy car exert on the ground if i know the acceleration and the coefficient of friction?

I have a coefficient of friction of 0.62
and an acceleration of 0.40056 m/s^2

Any help is helpful =) thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the mass of the car, and if friction is the only horizontal force acting on the car, then use Newton's 2nd law.

I do not know the mass of the car, so i cannot get the normal force.

However, I've just read above the question and it says that the electric motor for the car directly drives _one_ of the rear wheels. I'm not sure how this could help, but what i know about the motor is that it has a torque of 0.0382 Nm, 15 rev/s, and the wheel size is 85 mm dia.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Horizontal Force of Toy Car Wheels

1. What is the formula for calculating horizontal force of toy car wheels?

The formula for calculating horizontal force of toy car wheels is force = mass x acceleration. This formula applies to any object, including toy car wheels, and is represented by the equation F = ma.

2. Can the horizontal force of toy car wheels be determined without knowing the mass?

No, the horizontal force of toy car wheels cannot be determined without knowing the mass. In order to use the formula F = ma, both the mass and acceleration must be known. Without the mass, the force cannot be accurately calculated.

3. How does the acceleration of a toy car affect the horizontal force?

The acceleration of a toy car directly affects the horizontal force. According to the formula F = ma, as acceleration increases, the force also increases. This means that a toy car with a higher acceleration will have a greater horizontal force.

4. Are there any external factors that can impact the horizontal force of toy car wheels?

Yes, there are external factors that can impact the horizontal force of toy car wheels. Some examples include friction, air resistance, and the surface the toy car is moving on. These factors can either increase or decrease the force acting on the wheels.

5. How is the horizontal force of toy car wheels important in real-life applications?

The horizontal force of toy car wheels is important in real-life applications because it helps determine the speed and movement of the toy car. It is also important in engineering and design, as the force must be considered when creating and testing toy car models. Additionally, understanding the horizontal force can help improve the overall performance and efficiency of toy cars.