Calculating horizontal distance using angle and max height

In summary, the froghopper, Philaenus spumarius, holds the world record for insect jumps with a maximum height of 58.7 meters above the ground when leaping at an angle of 58.0 degrees. To achieve this, the froghopper had a takeoff speed of 4.00 m/s. To calculate the horizontal distance covered, we can use the formula v_x = v_0 * cos(θ) and find the time using the formula v_f = v_y + at. With the value of v_x and the calculated time, the horizontal distance can be found using the formula s = v_x * t, which gives a value of 36.7 meters.
kgianqu2
The froghopper, Philaenus spumarius, holds the world record for insect jumps. When leaping at an angle of 58.0 above the horizontal, some of the tiny critters have reached a maximum height of 58.7 above the level ground.

A)What was the takeoff speed for such a leap?
I got 4.00 m/s which was correct.

B)What horizontal distance did the froghopper cover for this world-record leap?
I really am not even sure how to attempt this.

Physics news on Phys.org
kgianqu2 said:
A)What was the takeoff speed for such a leap?
I got 4.00 m/s which was correct.

Close! The answer should be 40 m/s. Use this form v_y = v_0 * sin(θ). Then, find d from this form:

v_f² = v_y² + 2ad

kgianqu2 said:
B)What horizontal distance did the froghopper cover for this world-record leap?
I really am not even sure how to attempt this.

Then, you will need to use this form:

v_x = v_0 * cos(θ)

This gives you the time. Now, find the time using this form: v_f = v_y + at [You need to use part (a) to answer this question!] Finally, using the value of v_x and the time you found (given v_y), find the horizontal distance traveled.

s = v_x * t

When I answered 4.00m/s, mastering physics said it was correct.

I am not sure how to get time, but is v_x=36.7?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating horizontal distance using angle and max height

1. How do you calculate horizontal distance using angle and maximum height?

To calculate the horizontal distance using angle and maximum height, you will need to use the trigonometric function, specifically the sine function. First, you need to find the sine of the angle given. Then, multiply that value by the maximum height. The result will be the horizontal distance.

2. Can I use any angle to calculate horizontal distance?

No, you can only use angles that are formed by the horizontal and vertical lines. These angles are also known as right angles. Other angles will not give an accurate horizontal distance.

3. Do I need to know the initial velocity to calculate horizontal distance?

No, you do not need to know the initial velocity to calculate horizontal distance using angle and maximum height. The horizontal distance is only dependent on the angle and maximum height.

4. Can I use this calculation for any object thrown at an angle?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any object thrown at an angle, as long as the object's motion can be described by the equations of projectile motion. This includes objects thrown, launched, or dropped at an angle.

5. What units should be used for the angle and maximum height in this calculation?

The angle should be in degrees and the maximum height should be in the same unit as the horizontal distance. For example, if the horizontal distance is measured in meters, the maximum height should also be measured in meters.