Calculating Horizontal Distance for a Falling Object Without an Angle

• Thread starter red1312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary: Then you have to take the derivative of y with respect to t in order to find the time it takes to hit the ground.
red1312

Homework Statement

A girl shoves a book at rest on a table and it moves with an acceleration of 1.3 m/s . After 5 s, the book falls at the edge of the table. If the table height is 1.2 m, find the horizontal distance that it hit the floor. (ans: 3.22 m) ... How the answer would be 3.22

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually in this question doesn't have the angle .. So is it right to choose the maximum height formula so I can have the angle and then apply the Horizonte distance which is v0^2 sin2(q)/g
Tq

Physics news on Phys.org
I would break the problem into two parts, horizontal and vertical motion.

You know the height and the initial vertical velocity. How long in seconds does it take to hit the ground?

Calculate the horizontal velocity. How far does it travel horizontally in the same time?

Likes red1312
The angle is simply zero cause the velocity of the book, just before it starts falling, is horizontal.

Likes red1312
CWatters said:
I would break the problem into two parts, horizontal and vertical motion.

You know the height and the initial vertical velocity. How long in seconds does it take to hit the ground?

Calculate the horizontal velocity. How far does it travel horizontally in the same time?

Which formula for both parts ?

Yeah ..I just solve it thank so much
First we find the velocity from this formula v=at
Then we apply to find the time that it take to hit the ground which from this formula y=y0+v0y(t)+(1/2)gt^2
Finally we just multiply between the velocity from the answer 1 (6.5) and time 0.16

Is it right ??

well yes and no. The time it takes from the moment it passes the edge of table to the moment it hits the ground isn't 0.16 according to my calculations. Just use h=(1/2)gt2

Likes red1312
Ooh so the time will be 0.49 s

Sorry

yes but still you have to understand something, when you wrote the equation for y, [itex]y=y_0+v_{0y}t+(1/2)gt^2[/itex] it is [itex]v_{0y}=0[/itex] cause the book starts its fall with only horizontal velocity component.

Likes red1312

Related to Calculating Horizontal Distance for a Falling Object Without an Angle

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What types of questions can be solved using kinematics?

Kinematics can be used to solve questions related to the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object.

3. What are the three equations of kinematics?

The three equations of kinematics are:

1. Position formula: x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at2
  2. Velocity formula: v = v0 + at
  3. Acceleration formula: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

4. How do I solve kinematics questions?

To solve kinematics questions, you will need to identify the known values (position, velocity, acceleration, time) and use the relevant equation to find the unknown value. It is important to pay attention to units and use proper algebraic manipulation in your calculations.

5. Can kinematics be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, kinematics can be applied to real-life situations such as calculating the distance traveled by a car or the velocity of a falling object. It is a fundamental concept in physics that helps us understand and predict motion in the world around us.