Find the initial speed of jump using range and max height

In summary, the problem involves a dog jumping a distance of L and a maximum height of H, with only horizontal velocity when passing through a hoop. The desired speeds are the initial speed when leaving the ground and the speed when passing through the hoop, and they cannot be expressed in terms of sin(theta) or cos(theta). The relevant equations are V^2 = Vo^2 + 2gΔH and V = (Vox^2+Voy^2)^.5. To solve the problem, the horizontal component of velocity needs to be found, which can be done by writing equations for the x and y directions involving time and eliminating it.
cosmo1993

Homework Statement

A dog jumps a distance, L, and a maximum height, H, where the dog only has horizontal velocity when it travels through the hoop. What is the speed of your dog when he leaves the ground?
What is the speed of your dog when he goes through the loop? Both answers should NOT be in terms of sinθ or cosθ.
Max height = H
Distance = L
V at max height = Vx

Homework Equations

V^2 = Vo^2 + 2gΔH
V = (Vox^2+Voy^2)^.5

The Attempt at a Solution

0 = Voy^2 +2gH
Voy = square root(2gH)

My problem is I do not know how to find the horizontal component of velocity in order to solve the rest of the problem. I would greatly appreciate any help.

ps sorry for the bad formatting, this is my first time one the site.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi cosmo1993! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

let t be the time it reaches the hoop

write the equations for the x and y directions that involve t

then eliminate t

show us what you get :smile:

Related to Find the initial speed of jump using range and max height

1. What is the formula for finding the initial speed of a jump using range and maximum height?

The formula for finding the initial speed of a jump using range and maximum height is: Vi = √(2gH/1-cosθ), where Vi is the initial speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, H is the maximum height, and θ is the angle of the jump.

2. How do I measure the range and maximum height of a jump?

To measure the range, you can use a measuring tape to measure the horizontal distance traveled by the jumper. To measure the maximum height, you can use a measuring tape or a ruler to measure the vertical distance between the ground and the highest point of the jump.

3. Can I use this formula for any type of jump?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of jump as long as the range and maximum height are known.

4. What units should I use for the inputs in the formula?

The units for the inputs in the formula should be consistent. For example, if you use meters for the maximum height, you should also use meters for the range and the acceleration due to gravity.

5. Is this formula accurate for all situations?

This formula is an idealized equation and may not be completely accurate in real-life situations due to factors such as air resistance and the shape of the jumper's trajectory. However, it can provide a good estimate of the initial speed of a jump.