Calculating Heat and Work in Thermodynamics of Gas at 100°C and 1.01 x 10^5 pa

In summary, at 100°C and pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 pa, 1.00kg of steam occupies a volume of 1.67m^3 and 1.00kg of water occupies a volume of 1.04 x 10^-3 m^3. The specific latent heat of vaporisation of water at 100°C is 2.26 x 10^6 J kg^-1. The question asks to calculate the heat supplied, work done by the system, and increase in internal energy of the system when 1.00kg of water changes into steam at 100°C and pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 pa. The equations needed to solve
hoyy1kolko

Homework Statement

At 100°C and pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 pa,1.00kg steam occupies a volume of 1.67m^3.The volume of 1.00kg water is 1.04 x 10^-3 m^3.the specific latent heat of vaporisation of water at 100°C is 2.26 x 10^6 J kg^-1.When 1.00kg water changes into steam at 100°C and pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 pa,calculate

A)heat supplied
B)Work done by the system
C)Increase in internal energy of the system

Homework Equations

P(v2-v1).my book lack of example .So i try a lot of times but can't do it.help me

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't solve the question.The book din have this type of example.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to calculate the internal energy of the system for both cases.

You should also be able to calculate the two enthalpies. Recall that enthalpy is the system energy plus the work required to place the system within a given volume of constant pressure fluid. i.e. you must displace something else at that pressure and volume to contain the system, i.e. you must do work on the environment.

Related to Calculating Heat and Work in Thermodynamics of Gas at 100°C and 1.01 x 10^5 pa

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics of gas?

Thermodynamics of gas is the branch of physics that studies the relationship between heat, work, temperature, and energy in gases. It also explores how gases behave under different physical conditions.

2. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of an isolated system will never decrease over time. The third law states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It can be written as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How does temperature affect the behavior of gases?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of gas molecules also increases, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently with each other and the walls of their container. This leads to an increase in pressure and volume of the gas.

5. What is the significance of the critical point in thermodynamics of gas?

The critical point is the temperature and pressure at which a gas undergoes a phase transition from gas to liquid. At this point, the gas and liquid phases have the same properties, and further increase in pressure or decrease in temperature will result in the formation of a liquid. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases under extreme conditions.