Help with Thermodynamics and Gas Law

In summary: When you say you found work, what does that mean? If you're talking about the power needed to push the piston, that's work done, but if you're talking about the power needed to turn the piston, that's work done and heat added, so it would be two different things.A pressure of 3.28 Pa absolute is a pretty strong vacuum, and even a gauge pressure of 3.28 Pa is essentially atmospheric. From a practical standpoint, this figure is in error.
sonpat
THE PROBLEM:
A steam engine's boiler completely converts 2638 g of water at 83.7 °C to steam at 195.4 °C. The steam, at a constant pressure of 3.28 Pa, expands by pushing a piston of radius 9.4 cm a distance of 8.3 cm. What is the change in internal energy of the water-steam system? MY WORK:
First I know Change In Internal Energy = Heat - Work
So I found heat using MC Delta T and Heat of Vaporization. I got 6665124.107 J.
Then I found work.
Change in Volume = Area * Distance
So in this case it's Pi R2 D or (.094m2)(pi)(.083m) which is .002304m3
Then Work = Change in Volume * Pressure
3.8 pascals* .002304m3 = .008755 J
Change in internal energy = 6665124.107 J - .008755 J = 6665124.098J

BUT THAT'S WRONG AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING

Physics news on Phys.org
Something seems very unusual about this problem statement. Is this the exact wording. That 3.28 Pa is very suspect.

Are you supposed to be using the steam tables for this?

Chestermiller said:
Something seems very unusual about this problem statement. Is this the exact wording. That 3.28 Pa is very suspect.

Are you supposed to be using the steam tables for this?

yes this is the exact wording and I believe so

Sorry. I'm not able to make sense out of the problem statement. Maybe someone else can figure it out.

sonpat said:
THE PROBLEM:
A steam engine's boiler completely converts 2638 g of water at 83.7 °C to steam at 195.4 °C. The steam, at a constant pressure of 3.28 Pa, expands by pushing a piston of radius 9.4 cm a distance of 8.3 cm. What is the change in internal energy of the water-steam system? MY WORK:
First I know Change In Internal Energy = Heat - Work
So I found heat using MC Delta T and Heat of Vaporization. I got 6665124.107 J.
Then I found work.
Change in Volume = Area * Distance
So in this case it's Pi R2 D or (.094m2)(pi)(.083m) which is .002304m3
Then Work = Change in Volume * Pressure
3.8 pascals* .002304m3 = .008755 J
Change in internal energy = 6665124.107 J - .008755 J = 6665124.098J

BUT THAT'S WRONG AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM DOING
A pressure of 3.28 Pa absolute is a pretty strong vacuum, and even a gauge pressure of 3.28 Pa is essentially atmospheric. From a practical standpoint, this figure is in error.
A pressure of 1 Pa is created by a dollar bill resting on a flat surface. Atmospheric pressure is 101,325 Pa.

When you say you found the heat added to the water by using MC delta T and Heat of Vaporization, how did you calculate the heat added to the steam after it has supposedly been turned to vapor? This is where steam tables come in handy, but only if you know the pressure.

Likes Chestermiller

Related to Help with Thermodynamics and Gas Law

What is the difference between thermodynamics and gas laws?

Thermodynamics is a branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work. It focuses on the behavior of systems as a whole. Gas laws, on the other hand, are a set of principles that describe the behavior of gases, including their volume, pressure, and temperature. While thermodynamics looks at the overall behavior of systems, gas laws specifically focus on the behavior of gases.

How are thermodynamics and gas laws used in real-world applications?

Thermodynamics and gas laws have numerous applications in everyday life, including heating and cooling systems, car engines, and refrigeration systems. They are also used in industries such as aerospace, chemical, and environmental engineering to design and optimize processes.

What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. The second law states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. The third law states that the entropy of a pure crystalline substance at absolute zero temperature is zero.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it used?

The ideal gas law, also known as the universal gas law, describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. This law is used in various applications, such as predicting the behavior of gases in different conditions and calculating unknown variables in gas systems.

What is the difference between an ideal gas and a real gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law exactly under all conditions. It has no volume or intermolecular forces, and its particles have no mass. A real gas, on the other hand, does not behave ideally and deviates from the ideal gas law due to factors such as intermolecular forces and the finite size of gas molecules. Real gases also have non-zero volumes and experience some attraction and repulsion between particles.