Calculating GPE and Power for a Cable Car Ride

In summary, a cable car with a mass of 2000kg and carrying 80 people, each with an average mass of 60kg, travels a vertical distance of 900m in 5 minutes. The gain in gravitational potential energy for the 80 people is 4.2 x 10^7 J. The minimum power required by a motor to lift the cable car and its passengers to the top of the mountain is 2.0 x 10^5 watts. The work done is calculated to be 6.0 x 10^7 J, using the formula Force x Distance.
james_rich
Hey just gettin a bit stuck on this question...i'll attempt to answer it, but it really doesn't look right to me.

A cable car is used to carry people up a mountain. The mass of the car is 2000kg and it carries 80 people, of average mass 60kg. The vertical height traveled is 900m and the time taken is 5 minutes.

i) Calculate the gain in GPE of the 80 people in the car

GPE = mg/\ h

= (80 x 60) x 9.81 x 900

= 4.2 x 10^7 J

Is this right so far? :confused:

ii) Calculate the minimum power required by a motor to lift the cable car and its passengers to the top of the mountain.

Power = Work Done/Time Taken

Work Done = Force x Distance = (4800 + 2000) x 9.81 x 900
= 6.0 x 10^7

Power = (6.0 x 10^7) / 300 (as 5 mins = 300s)

P = 2.0 X 10^5 watts

These are the answers I got...i think I've used the right method, just need some reassurance!

Thanx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Working looks ok to me.

Your calculations look correct to me! Good job on using the formula for GPE and power. Just a small note, the mass of the car should also be included in the calculation for GPE, so it should be (4800 + 2000) instead of just 4800. Other than that, great job! Keep up the good work.

Related to Calculating GPE and Power for a Cable Car Ride

1. How do you calculate the potential energy of a cable car ride?

The potential energy of a cable car ride can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the cable car, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and h is the height of the cable car ride.

2. What is the formula for calculating power in a cable car ride?

The formula for calculating power in a cable car ride is P = W/t, where P is power, W is work, and t is time. Work can be calculated by multiplying the force exerted on the cable car by the distance it travels.

3. How does the mass of the cable car affect the potential energy and power?

The mass of the cable car affects both the potential energy and power. The greater the mass of the cable car, the greater the potential energy and power required to move it. This is because the equation for potential energy and power both include the mass of the object.

4. What other factors besides mass and height affect the potential energy and power in a cable car ride?

The other factors that can affect the potential energy and power in a cable car ride are the speed of the cable car and the efficiency of the system. A faster cable car will require more power to overcome air resistance and friction, while a less efficient system will require more power to move the cable car.

5. How does the calculation of GPE and power for a cable car ride differ from other modes of transportation?

The calculation of GPE and power for a cable car ride differs from other modes of transportation because it takes into account the unique factors of a cable car, such as the height and mass of the cable car. Other modes of transportation, such as cars or trains, may have different equations for calculating GPE and power based on their specific characteristics.