Calculating Power Loss in Transmission Cables

In summary, the power loss in the cables between the power station and factory is equal to 5*10^5 watts. This represents the amount of power that is not delivered to the output factory, which is equivalent to approximately 0.5% of the power station's output power. If the supply p.d is decreased to 250V, the power loss would increase proportionally.
Matt512

Homework Statement

A power station supplies a factory with 1MW of electrical power at a p.d of 10KV. The total resistance of both cables between power station and factory is 0.5 ohm. Find the percentage of the power station output power which is delivered to the output factory.How does this figure change if the supply p.d s only 250V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well , i tried to find I , which is I = p/v = (106)/(103)=1000A
Then i use = I2R
And get 5*105
But i don't know if am on the right way.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what do you think the power you now computed represents?

Also, remember to put units on your numbers.

Well to be honest , i don`t have a clue on how to do this question .But am trying to understand and do it.

So let us take things one step at a time to figure out what you have computed. In your first step, you say I = P/V. Which values did you put in here and what current does the result represent?

Power= 10MW
P.D =10KV

I = p/v = (106)/(103)=1000A

Well the answer represents the current at the factory ?

Yes, it is the current at the factory. How does this relate to the current through the cables to and from the factory?

Well i can calculate the power loss by using p=I2R right or p=V2/R

Yes. So the current through the cables must be the same as through the factory.

You do not have the voltage across the cables, so you must use the first expression. So what you computed is the power loss. How large a portion of the power from the power station does this represent?

Related to Calculating Power Loss in Transmission Cables

1. What is a power transmission cable?

A power transmission cable is a type of electrical cable that is used to transfer electricity from a power source to a destination, such as a building or electronic device. It is typically made of copper or aluminum wires and is designed to carry high voltage and current loads.

2. How do power transmission cables work?

Power transmission cables work by utilizing the principles of electricity and electromagnetic induction. When an electric current flows through the cable, it creates a magnetic field which in turn induces a current in the destination, allowing electricity to be transferred from the source to the destination.

3. What are the different types of power transmission cables?

The most common types of power transmission cables include overhead lines, underground cables, and subsea cables. Overhead lines are suspended above ground and are typically used for long-distance transmission. Underground cables are buried underground and are often used in urban areas. Subsea cables are designed to transmit electricity across bodies of water.

4. What are the advantages of using power transmission cables?

Power transmission cables offer several advantages over other methods of transmitting electricity, such as wireless transmission. They are more efficient, have a lower risk of interference, and can carry higher voltage and current loads. They also have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance compared to other methods.

5. What are the safety precautions for handling power transmission cables?

Power transmission cables carry high voltage and current, so it is important to take safety precautions when handling them. This includes wearing protective gear, ensuring the cables are properly insulated, and following proper procedures for installation and maintenance. It is also important to be aware of potential hazards, such as underground cables and overhead lines, and to follow safety guidelines when working near them.