Calculating Geometric Probability on a Round Table

In summary, the conversation is about a geometric probability problem involving a round table with a radius of 50cm and a smaller circle with a radius of 10cm at its center. The question asks for the probability that a coin with a radius of 1cm, thrown onto the table, will land completely within the smaller circle. The solution involves finding the ratio of the areas of the smaller circle and the sample space (the larger circle) to determine the desired probability. The correct answer is $\left(\dfrac9{49}\right)^2$.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a question related to geometric probability. I think I solved it, but not sure, would appreciate your opinion.

We are given a round table with a radius of 50cm. At the center of this table there is another circle, with a radius of 10cm. A coin with a radius of 1cm is thrown on the table. Assuming that it landed on the table, what is the probability that the coin (the entire coin) is within the small circle ?

I said that the area of the big circle is

\[2500\pi\]

this is the sample space.

The set of the required event is the points creating the area of the small circle, but going 1cm inside, to allow the entire coin to be inside, so it is:

\[81\pi\]

Therefore the probability is:

\[\frac{81}{2500}\]

Am I correct ?

Thank you !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would be inclined to say:

\(\displaystyle P(x)=\frac{\pi\left(10-\dfrac{1}{2}\right)^2}{\pi\left(50-\dfrac{1}{2}\right)^2}=\left(\frac{19}{99}\right)^2\)

Not sure where Mark's $\dfrac12$ is coming from. The question says that the radius (not the diameter!) of the coin is 1cm. So I would give the answer as $\left(\dfrac9{49}\right)^2$. This assumes that the coin has to land so that it is entirely on the table. The OP's answer $\dfrac{81}{2500}$ assumes that it is allowed to land so that it precariously overlaps the edge of the table.

Yes, I misread radius as diameter...oops. :)

Related to Calculating Geometric Probability on a Round Table

What is geometric probability?

Geometric probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the measurement and analysis of the likelihood of occurrence of an event in a geometric space.

What is the formula for calculating geometric probability?

The formula for calculating geometric probability is P(A) = n(A) / n(S), where P(A) represents the probability of event A occurring, n(A) represents the number of outcomes in event A, and n(S) represents the total number of outcomes in the sample space.

How is geometric probability different from traditional probability?

Geometric probability differs from traditional probability in that it focuses on events occurring in a geometric space, such as a line, plane, or three-dimensional space, rather than a discrete set of outcomes.

What are some real-life applications of geometric probability?

Geometric probability has various real-life applications, including predicting the likelihood of a specific location being hit by a natural disaster, estimating the probability of success in a sports game based on the positioning of players, and analyzing the probability of a target being hit by a missile.

How can I improve my understanding of geometric probability?

To improve your understanding of geometric probability, it is important to practice solving problems and familiarize yourself with the different formulas and concepts. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks or online tutorials, to deepen your knowledge.