Point and circle on sphere probability

In summary, the probability of a randomly drawn circle passing within a defined distance of a set point on a sphere is d/2*r.
BedrockGeometry

Homework Statement

Given a randomly drawn circle on a sphere, calculate the probability that it will pass within a defined distance of a set point. To make it clear, imagine the example of the the Earth and Mt Everest. What is the probability that a randomly drawn circle will come within, say 3km of Everest?

Homework Equations

Surface area of sphere: 4*pi*r^2
Circumference of a circle: 2*pi*r

The Attempt at a Solution

Let the defined distance (3km in above example) be d. I think that you can approximate the probability for relatively small d (say 1/400th the circumference of a sphere) by calculating the ratio of (the surface area of a strip 2*d units high by the circumference of an averaged sized circle on a sphere) to that of (the entire sphere).

I assume that an arbitrarily drawn circle will on average be 1/2 of the great circle circumference of our sphere, or pi*r so the surface area of the strip would be 2*d*pi*r.

This would make the probability 2*d*pi*r/4*pi*r^2 or d/2*r for a ballpark figure?

It seems very straightforward for a good estimate but I want to bounce it off you all.
Thank you for taking a look.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first guess would be the area of a circle of radius d divided by the surface area of the sphere.

Hello BG, welcome to PF :smile: !

I have some trouble interpreting your problem statement.
is it
(i) randomly drawn circle = circle with randomly chosen radius and randomly chosen center​
or is it
(ii) randomly drawn circle = circle with a fixed radius R and randomly chosen center​

The first is rather impossible: there must in all likelihood be an upper limit to this radius.

And even so: your
" I assume that an arbitrarily drawn circle will on average be 1/2 of the great circle circumference of our sphere, or pi*r so the surface area of the strip would be 2*d*pi*r. "​
What is this assumption based on ?

Then the criterion: "pass within a defined distance of a set point" .
Again, there must be an upper limit to d.
And "within" ? Then why start off with a strip ?

For all I understand, you pick a point, e.g. the North pole. Points within a distance d form a circle with area ##< \pi d^2## (you are on a sphere, remember!).
In case ii (fixed R) your criterion comes down to: center of circle less than R + d from the North pole. Still pretty complicated, because you are on a sphere.

Just assume that I'm not stupid, but somehow built like a computer: you have to be complete, specific and exact in order to get what you intended.

--

Related to Point and circle on sphere probability

What is the concept of "point and circle on sphere probability"?

"Point and circle on sphere probability" is a mathematical concept that deals with the likelihood of randomly choosing a point and drawing a circle on a sphere. It involves calculating the probability of the circle intersecting or containing the chosen point.

How is "point and circle on sphere probability" relevant in scientific research?

This concept is commonly used in various fields of science, such as geology, astronomy, and physics, to study and model various phenomena on spherical objects. It can also be applied in computer graphics and image processing to generate realistic 3D images.

What factors affect the probability of a circle intersecting or containing a chosen point on a sphere?

The size and location of the circle, as well as the position of the point relative to the center of the sphere, can affect the probability. The curvature of the sphere and the distance between the point and the circle's center also play a role in the calculation.

What mathematical equations are used to calculate "point and circle on sphere probability"?

The most commonly used equations are the Haversine formula and the Spherical law of cosines, which take into account the spherical geometry of the problem. These equations involve trigonometric functions and can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as integration or Monte Carlo simulation.

How can "point and circle on sphere probability" be visualized and understood?

One way to visualize this concept is by using a globe or a 3D model of a sphere and physically drawing circles and points on its surface. This can help to understand how the probability changes with different parameters. Additionally, computer simulations and visualizations can also aid in understanding the concept.