Calculating Frequency of Standing Wave on a Fixed String | Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter Workout
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a standing wave on a string with a length of 2.0 meters and a wave speed of 78 m/s. The question is asking for the frequency of the standing wave shown in the figure. The attempted solution involves using the formula v=nv/2L and multiplying by an integer, n, that represents the number of wavelengths in the standing wave. However, there seems to be confusion about the number of wavelengths shown in the figure and the correct units for frequency.
Workout
I've never taken physics before and this is my first physics class in university.

Homework Statement

A string, 2.0 meters in length, is fixed at both ends and tightened until the wave
speed is 78 m/s. What is the frequency of the standing wave shown in the figure?

Homework Equations

v=nv/2L because it is fixed at both ends

The Attempt at a Solution

so f = (78m/s)/(2)(2)
and I get 19.5 Hz but that's not the right answer. It's too small. Help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like there's some information missing in your outline of the problem. Perhaps try multiplying by an integer, n, that is the number of wavelengths the standing wave is comprised of.

Okay I actually just tried that. Here's the picture to the problem:

ScreenShot2012-09-16at80313PM.png

I thought the number of wavelengths was 6, but that doesn't seem to be right? Am I reading the picture wrong?

Theres only 3 wavelengths in that picture;)

haha okay I see that now. So then I'd do

f = (78m/s)(3m)/(2m)(2)

and I'd get 58.5 which doesn't make sense. my answer either has to be A) 350Hz B) 230Hz C) 120Hz D) 470Hz and it's neither. so is my formula wrong maybe? because isn't frequency supposed to have units s? because that gives me units m/s.

Related to Calculating Frequency of Standing Wave on a Fixed String | Physics Homework Help

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, transferring energy from one point to another without the physical transfer of matter.

What are the characteristics of a wave?

A wave has several characteristics, including wavelength, amplitude, frequency, and speed. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave with the same phase. Amplitude is the maximum displacement of a point on the wave from its equilibrium position. Frequency is the number of complete waves that pass by a point in a given time. Speed is the rate at which the wave travels through the medium.

What causes waves?

Waves can be caused by a variety of factors, including vibrations, wind, and earthquakes. In general, any disturbance or change in a medium can create a wave.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation. Examples of transverse waves include ocean waves and electromagnetic waves. Longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move parallel to the direction of the wave's propagation. Examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves and seismic waves.

How are waves used in everyday life?

Waves have many practical applications in our everyday lives. They are used in communication systems such as radio and television, in medical imaging techniques like ultrasound, and in technologies such as radar and sonar. They are also vital for transportation, as waves play a crucial role in the movement of ships and airplanes. Additionally, many forms of energy, including light and sound, are transmitted through waves.