Waves Homework help -- Waves on a String

In summary: Furthermore, if you want to find the speed of the wave, you would need to know the distance the wave traveled and then use that information to find the speed. What makes you think the wave traveled 4 m in 2 s? That information is not given in the problem statement nor can it be derived from the graph. Furthermore, if you want to find the speed of the wave, you would need to know the distance the wave traveled and then use that information to find the speed.
Riemannenthusiast
Homework Statement
I attached an image
Relevant Equations
lamba*frequency=wave speed
1/f=speed
Okay well I'm stuck on this one. I know that lamba times frequency is wave speed and 1/f is period. I think that the wavelength of the wave is four but what is the frequency? (1/2)? Would I multiply 4*1/2 to get 2 m/s as the wave speed and then if the frequency doubles to .25, the wavelength be 8m? I think I am missing something because I don't think that's the proper way to find the frequency. Is there something special about the string?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.52.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 11.52.08 AM.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The "Homework Statement" is where you tell us the question or problem. Rather than have us take a wild guess at what you're trying to do!

A homework statement is the problem statement: the question the way it was asked of you. It is extremely helpful in introducing us to the problem so we know what you are talking about. As it is, I can not make heads nor tails out of your question.

PeroK said:
The "Homework Statement" is where you tell us the question or problem. Rather than have us take a wild guess at what you're trying to do!
Oh okay, thank you!

Cutter Ketch said:
A homework statement is the problem statement: the question the way it was asked of you. It is extremely helpful in introducing us to the problem so we know what you are talking about. As it is, I can not make heads nor tails out of your question.
Gotcha. I attached a picture of the question :)

Hmmm ... I can see why you are stuck. Is this the whole problem? Was there some prior related statement about the string in this problem?

Cutter Ketch said:
Hmmm ... I can see why you are stuck. Is this the whole problem? Was there some prior related statement about the string in this problem?
I took a screenshot of the answer choices...will that help?

Riemannenthusiast said:
the wavelength of the wave is four
You might want to rethink that. Also, you should not state wavelength without units.

I see that it expects numeric answers, not just relative comparisons.

The problem is very clear what is plotted. The string is stretched horizontally. The transverse wave propagates horizontally. The graph shows the vertical (i.e. transverse) displacement of a single point on the string as a function of time. From this one can only derive the frequency and the amplitude. I do not believe it is possible to relate these to the speed or wavelength without additional information. The problem is flawed.

Likes Riemannenthusiast and Merlin3189
Do you think that I could do distance over time to find wave speed. Like the wave traveled 4 meters in 2 seconds so its speed is 2 m/s and then if the frequency doubles from .5 to 1, the period is one and the wavelength would be 2m?

Riemannenthusiast said:
Do you think that I could do distance over time to find wave speed. Like the wave traveled 4 meters in 2 seconds so its speed is 2 m/s and then if the frequency doubles from .5 to 1, the period is one and the wavelength would be 2m?

What makes you think the wave traveled 4 m in 2 s? That information is not given in the problem statement nor can it be derived from the graph.

Likes phinds

What is a wave?

A wave is a disturbance or oscillation that travels through space or a medium, accompanied by a transfer of energy. In the case of a wave on a string, the medium is the string itself.

What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

Transverse waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while longitudinal waves are waves in which the particles of the medium move parallel to the direction of the wave. A wave on a string is an example of a transverse wave.

How is the wavelength of a wave on a string determined?

The wavelength of a wave on a string is determined by the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave. It can also be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency.

What is the relationship between frequency and period of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is the number of complete cycles it completes in one second, while the period is the time it takes for one complete cycle. They are inversely proportional, meaning that as frequency increases, the period decreases and vice versa.

How does the tension of a string affect the speed of a wave on the string?

The speed of a wave on a string is directly proportional to the tension of the string. This means that as the tension increases, the speed of the wave increases, and as the tension decreases, the speed of the wave decreases.