Calculating Force of Drag on Paper Helicopters

In summary, the force of drag on a paper helicopter is affected by the shape and surface area of the helicopter, the density and viscosity of the surrounding air, and the speed at which the helicopter is falling. It can be calculated using the formula Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A and is influenced by the drag coefficient, which is determined by the shape and surface properties of the object. Changing the surface area of the paper helicopter can also alter the force of drag, with a larger surface area resulting in a higher force and a smaller surface area resulting in a lower force. However, the force of drag can be reduced by changing the shape or surface properties of the helicopter, or by increasing the
DarkBlitz
hello!
i'm doing a physics lab paper helicopters and changing the length of their wings.
i was wondering if i could find the coefficient of drag for each helicopter.
i have the mass of the helicopter, the time it takes to fall a certain distance and I'm assuming that the cross sectional area will be pi*length^2
however, I'm having a bit of trouble determining the force of drag, i am not sure at all how to go about it :S
how do you calculate the force of drag? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you talking about the rotors or the helicopter itself?

Related to Calculating Force of Drag on Paper Helicopters

1. What factors affect the force of drag on a paper helicopter?

The force of drag on a paper helicopter is affected by the shape and surface area of the helicopter, the density and viscosity of the surrounding air, and the speed at which the helicopter is falling. These factors can be manipulated to change the amount of drag acting on the helicopter.

2. How do you calculate the force of drag on a paper helicopter?

The force of drag on a paper helicopter can be calculated using the formula Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v^2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of air, v is the velocity of the helicopter, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the frontal area of the helicopter.

3. What is the drag coefficient and how does it affect the force of drag?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag produced by an object. It is affected by the shape and surface properties of the object and can be experimentally determined. A higher drag coefficient means a greater force of drag acting on the paper helicopter.

4. How does changing the surface area of the paper helicopter affect the force of drag?

Increasing the surface area of the paper helicopter will result in a higher force of drag, as there is more surface area for the air to push against. On the other hand, decreasing the surface area will result in a lower force of drag.

5. Can the force of drag on a paper helicopter be reduced?

Yes, the force of drag on a paper helicopter can be reduced by changing the shape or surface properties of the helicopter. For example, making the helicopter more streamlined or adding a smooth coating can decrease the force of drag. Additionally, increasing the density or viscosity of the surrounding air can also reduce the force of drag.