Calculating Density Using Upthrust and Drag Force in Water

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FBD and the assumptions made to find the density of a liquid. It also mentions a discrepancy in the answer given and possible reasons for it. The correct answer is provided and the mistake is identified as misinterpreting the units for the drag force.
jisbon
Homework Statement
Ball of radius 3cm and mass 0.1kg released from rest in liquid. It eventually reaches terminal velocity at 2m/s. What is density of liquid? Give drag force as F=1.9v
Relevant Equations
Drag force + pgV = mg
So using FBD, I came out with:

1565666320614.png

since it reaches terminal velocity, I can assume F=0, thus mg = upthrust +drag
So my density = mg - drag force/g * volume
However the answer seems to be wrong from the answer key I was given. Any ideas why?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Homework Statement: Ball of radius 3cm and mass 0.1kg released from rest in liquid. It eventually reaches terminal velocity at 2m/s. What is density of liquid? Give drag force as F=1.9v
Homework Equations: Drag force + pgV = mg

So using FBD, I came out with:

View attachment 248071

since it reaches terminal velocity, I can assume F=0, thus mg = upthrust +drag
So my density = mg - drag force/g * volume
However the answer seems to be wrong from the answer key I was given. Any ideas why?
Thanks
Please post your working and answer.

haruspex said:
Please post your working and answer.
Volume= 4/3 pi r^3 = 1.13*10^-4
Density = 0.98-(1.9)(1.13*10^-4) / 9.8(1.13*10^-4) = 884.76

The correct answer provided was 850

jisbon said:
Volume= 4/3 pi r^3 = 1.13*10^-4
Density = 0.98-(1.9)(1.13*10^-4) / 9.8(1.13*10^-4) = 884.76

The correct answer provided was 850
You appear to have misinterpreted the v in F=1.9v. It refers to the velocity, not the volume.
The 1.9 needs units, e.g. kg/s to take a velocity in m/s and produce a force in N.

haruspex said:
You appear to have misinterpreted the v in F=1.9v. It refers to the velocity, not the volume.
The 1.9 needs units, e.g. kg/s to take a velocity in m/s and produce a force in N.
Ah alright, gotem! Thanks for your help :)

Related to Calculating Density Using Upthrust and Drag Force in Water

1. What is upthrust?

Upthrust, also known as buoyancy force, is the upward force exerted on an object submerged in a fluid, such as water. It is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the pressure being greater at the bottom.

2. How is upthrust calculated?

Upthrust is calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid, the volume of the submerged object, and the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the equation FB = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the submerged object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the amount of upthrust on an object?

The amount of upthrust on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object, and the acceleration due to gravity. In addition, the shape and density of the object also play a role in determining the amount of upthrust. Objects that are more dense than the fluid will sink, while objects that are less dense will float.

4. What is drag force in water?

Drag force in water is a resistive force that acts on an object as it moves through a fluid. This force is caused by the friction between the object and the fluid, and it opposes the direction of motion of the object. The amount of drag force depends on the size, shape, and speed of the object, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid.

5. How does drag force affect the movement of an object in water?

Drag force can significantly affect the movement of an object in water. As an object moves through the water, the drag force acts against it, causing it to slow down. This is why objects, such as boats or swimmers, need to use a significant amount of force to move through water. The shape and size of the object can also impact the amount of drag force, with more streamlined objects experiencing less drag and moving more efficiently through water.