Calculate the resulatant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a submarine at a depth of 325m in sea water with a density of 1150Kg m-3 and acceleration of gravity 10m/s. The submarine has a volume of 0.2m3 and a mass of 480Kg. The question asks for the upthrust, resultant downward force, and the mass of water that must be emptied from the ballasts for the submarine to float. The solution involves calculating the upthrust and considering the weight of the submarine and pressure of the sea acting on it. However, the given information and calculations lead to conflicting results and the question may be flawed.
Richie Smash

Homework Statement

Hi I have uploaded a picture of a pressure question.
It says that there is a submarine 325 m deep, with the sea water of density 1150Kg m-3 and acceleration of gravity 10m/s and the volume of the submarine is 0.2m3 with mass 480Kg
They first ask for the upthrust.
Then they say the normal force of the sea floor against the submarine is 1800N, what is the resultant downward force?
Then they ask what mass of water must be emptied from the ballasts for the submarine to float?

Homework Equations

Pressure =pgh
Upthrust = m(fluid disaplaced) *g

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Upthrust is equal to the density of the fluid times gravity times the volume of the object.
Thus I have worked out the upthrust on the submarine to be 2300N.

Now they ask for the resultant force.
Normally I would think it would be 1800 as well, but I realized there are more force acting downwards, the first being the weight of the submarine itself, which is 4800N, now i must subtract the upthrust from this to find the remaining downard force I believe, so I would get 2500N is what is remaining acting in the downwards direction.

So I have 1800 going upwards from the seafloor, and 2500 going downwards from the submarine, would the resultant force be 700N?

But then I have to remember the pressure of the sea acting on the submarine itself which is 375 m* g*p(of the water)

I feel I'm somewhere alng the correct lines.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 993
Physics news on Phys.org
Richie Smash said:

Homework Statement

Hi I have uploaded a picture of a pressure question.
It says that there is a submarine 325 m deep, with the sea water of density 1150Kg m-3 and acceleration of gravity 10m/s and the volume of the submarine is 0.2m3 with mass 480Kg
They first ask for the upthrust.
Then they say the normal force of the sea floor against the submarine is 1800N, what is the resultant downward force?
Then they ask what mass of water must be emptied from the ballasts for the submarine to float?

Homework Equations

Pressure =pgh
Upthrust = m(fluid disaplaced) *g

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that Upthrust is equal to the density of the fluid times gravity times the volume of the object.
Thus I have worked out the upthrust on the submarine to be 2300N.

Now they ask for the resultant force.
Normally I would think it would be 1800 as well, but I realized there are more force acting downwards, the first being the weight of the submarine itself, which is 4800N, now i must subtract the upthrust from this to find the remaining downard force I believe, so I would get 2500N is what is remaining acting in the downwards direction.

So I have 1800 going upwards from the seafloor, and 2500 going downwards from the submarine, would the resultant force be 700N?

But then I have to remember the pressure of the sea acting on the submarine itself which is 375 m* g*p(of the water)

I feel I'm somewhere alng the correct lines.

Regarding "pressure of the sea acting on the submarine itself", you don't have to consider that as it is already considered in the upthrust itself: it's the pressure difference of the water at different heights.

Generally it looks sound. Although I find it kind of weird that there's still a net 700N that's pushing onto the sea floor as though the sea floor can be pushed down.

So you're saying what I've speculated seems correct?

Likes Alloymouse
Richie Smash said:
So you're saying what I've speculated seems correct?
Yes. I just woke up so I'll take a closer look later when I'm more sane lol. Or wait for someone else to come along to confirm / reject

so would that be 250 KG of water required for the submarine to float yes?

Richie Smash said:
so would that be 250 KG of water required for the submarine to float yes?
Yep, that is right :)

Alloymouse said:
weird that there's still a net 700N that's pushing onto the sea floor as though the sea floor can be pushed down.
It's worse than that. It implies the sub is accelerating downward at 700/480=1.46m/s2.
The net force is surely 0.

The question as posed makes no sense. You can either ignore the 1800N information and arrive at 250kg, or ignore the .2m3 and get 1800N/g = 180kg.
I note that if 250kg of ballast can be expelled then it occupies a volume greater than the sub itself, so I suggest the 0.2m3 is suspect. Perhaps one needs to pay attention to the number of significant figures, i.e. it is anything < .25m3.

I did wonder if the mass given for the sub excludes the contents of its ballast tanks, but that makes matters worse.

haruspex said:
It's worse than that. It implies the sub is accelerating downward at 700/480=1.46m/s2.
The net force is surely 0.

The question as posed makes no sense. You can either ignore the 1800N information and arrive at 250kg, or ignore the .2m3 and get 1800N/g = 180kg.
I note that if 250kg of ballast can be expelled then it occupies a volume greater than the sub itself, so I suggest the 0.2m3 is suspect. Perhaps one needs to pay attention to the number of significant figures, i.e. it is anything < .25m3.

I did wonder if the mass given for the sub excludes the contents of its ballast tanks, but that makes matters worse.

Okay so I wasn't mad to think the 700N was off phew

@Richie Smash Where did you get this question? Do you have a source?

Yes its from CXC examinations past papers January 2007 paper 3, but I doubt you'll find that online, I got it emailed from a teacher.. so My asnwer is wrong then?

Richie Smash said:
Yes its from CXC examinations past papers January 2007 paper 3, but I doubt you'll find that online, I got it emailed from a teacher.. so My asnwer is wrong then?

Considering stuff is kinda weird here... I suggest you either look at the answer key if you have one to find out what they're trying to say, or follow @haruspex advice. Alternatively, you might want to do other similar questions instead.

Umm, there's no answer key, I'll have class ina few hours where the answer will be revealed, so I will let you guys know tonight

Ok Actually, He didn't review this paper in class yesterday, He's actually doing it next thursday, so I'll find out and see

Related to Calculate the resulatant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor

1. How is the downward force of a submarine calculated on the seafloor?

The downward force of a submarine on the seafloor is calculated by multiplying the mass of the submarine by the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2. This gives us the weight of the submarine, which is the force acting downwards on the seafloor.

2. What factors affect the resultant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor?

The resultant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor is affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the submarine, the depth of the water, and the density of the water. Other factors such as currents and buoyancy may also play a role.

3. How does the shape of a submarine impact its downward force on the seafloor?

The shape of a submarine can impact its downward force on the seafloor in several ways. A streamlined and more hydrodynamic shape will experience less resistance and therefore exert less force on the seafloor compared to a bulkier or less streamlined shape. Additionally, the shape can also affect the distribution of weight and the center of mass, which can impact the downward force.

4. Can the downward force of a submarine on the seafloor be altered or controlled?

Yes, the downward force of a submarine on the seafloor can be altered or controlled by adjusting variables such as the ballast tanks, propellers, and other systems that affect the buoyancy and weight distribution of the submarine. This allows the submarine to change its depth and exert different levels of force on the seafloor.

5. How is the resultant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor used in submarine navigation and operation?

The resultant downward force of a submarine on the seafloor is a crucial factor in submarine navigation and operation. By controlling the downward force, the submarine can maintain its depth and position in the water, as well as control its buoyancy and movement. Additionally, the downward force can also be used in conjunction with other forces, such as thrust from the propellers, to achieve desired movements and maneuvers.