Calculating Center of Mass for a Group on a Boat

In summary, the question is asking for the distance the boat will move when 23 people with an average mass of 70 kg each walk from bow to stern. The boat itself weighs 10^4 kg. The equation x_cm = ( m1x1 + m2x2 ) / ( m1 + m2 ) can be used to calculate the center of mass before and after the people move. Since there are no external forces acting on the center of mass, it will not change. In an isolated system, momentum is conserved, so m1v1 = m2v2. However, since we are not dealing with velocity in this scenario, this equation cannot be used. The equation m_{1}x_{
cookie monsta
this question has really stumped me.

23 people on a boat rest on water without friction. Each person has an average mass of 70 kg, and the boat itself weighs 10^4 kg. The entire party walks the entire 8 m distance of the boat from bow to stern. How far (in meters) does the boat move?

i know i have to use this equation somwhere:

x_cm = ( m1x1 + m2x2 ) / ( m1 + m2 )

so far i think
m1 = 23 * 70
x1 = 0
m2 = ?
x2 = ?

can anyone help me?

thnx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have data to calculate the center of mass before the people move. Since, there are no external forces acting on the c.m., will he change?

So,

[tex]x_{cm}_{i} = x_{cm}_{f}[/tex]​

is it like this?

in an isolated system, momentum is conserved. so, m1v1=m2v2, were m1 is the mass of boat, v1 is it's velocity, m2 is the mass of all the people, v2 is the velocity of them,

v2=(m1v1)/m2
d2/t=m1/m2 x d1/t
d2=m1/m2 x d1

since every1 covers d1, assume that the center of mass is over 1point that covers the 8meters...

does this make sense?

no i don't think I am makes sense because we're not dealing with velocity here

so i got this so far but i don't know which is which to plug in

[tex]m_{1}x_{1}_{i} + m_{2}x_{2}_{i} = m_{1}x_{1}_{f} + m{2}x_{2}_{f}[/tex]​

am i on the right track?

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Center of Mass for a Group on a Boat

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is a point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed, and the object will balance. It is also known as the center of gravity.

2. How is the center of mass determined?

The center of mass can be determined by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the particles that make up the object or system.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the motion and stability of objects. It is also used in physics calculations, such as determining the torque or force on an object.

4. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object has an irregular shape or if the mass is not evenly distributed.

5. How does the center of mass affect an object's stability?

The center of mass is directly related to an object's stability. If the center of mass is above the base of support, the object will be stable. If it is outside of the base of support, the object will be unstable and may topple over.