Two people on a boat(center of mass)

• Thread starter Toranc3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the boat will move 0.223m towards the initial position of the 75kg person, in the direction opposite to the initial position of the 75kg person. This is because the center of mass of the boat does not change, and therefore the system must move to compensate for the change in balance caused by the swapping of positions between the two people. The calculation can also be done by equating the final center of mass to the original center of mass, which would result in the same answer.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

Two people, one of mass 75kg and the other of mass 60kg, sit in a rowboat of mass 80kg. With the boat initially at rest, the two people, who have been sitting at opposite ends of the boat, 3.2m apart from each other, exchange seats.
How far will the boat move?
and in what direction will the boat move?

Homework Equations

xcm=x1m1+x2m2+xbmb/(m1+m2+mb)

The Attempt at a Solution

m1=75kg person initially on left end of boat.
m2=60kg person initially on right end of boat.
mb=80kg boat

my origin is at the left end of the boat and the 75kg person is initially there.

xcm=(0)(75kg) + (3.2)(60kg) + (1.6)(80kg)/(75kg+60kg+80kg)

xcm= 1.4883mNow for my final(center of mass doesn't move)

1.4883m=x1m1+ x2m2 +xbmb/(m1+m2+mb)

1.4883m= (3.2m)(75kg) + (0)(60kg) + xb(80kg)/(215kg)

xb(final) = 1.004375m

xb(final)-xb(initial)

1.004375m- 1.4883m=-.4839m

Is this correct? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Toranc3 said:
my origin is at the left end of the boat and the 75kg person is initially there.

xcm=(0)(75kg) + (3.2)(60kg) + (1.6)(80kg)/(75kg+60kg+80kg)

xcm= 1.4883m

This calculation is correct.

Toranc3 said:
Now for my final(center of mass doesn't move)

1.4883m=x1m1+ x2m2 +xbmb/(m1+m2+mb)

1.4883m= (3.2m)(75kg) + (0)(60kg) + xb(80kg)/(215kg)

xb(final) = 1.004375m

xb(final)-xb(initial)

1.004375m- 1.4883m=-.4839m

Here you are committing a mistake. You are right in saying that the centre of mass doesn't move but in your calculation, you have taken x1 to be equal to 3.2m. But the boat actually moves (by y metres towards left, say). This would imply x1 =3.2-y. Similar corrections need to be made for other masses.

Also, there's an easier way. You can think of the swap as equivalent to a transfer of 15kg rightwards by 3.2m. Now you need to compute the distance leftwards the system as a whole has to move to compensate for that.

Hey I am still stuck. Ok so the center of mass is correct right? Xcm =1.49m

How would I set up my final positions?

1.49(215kg) = (x1f)m1 + (x2f)m2 + (xbf)mb

I know that I am supposed to get x1f and x2f in terms of xbf and solve for xbf but I am not sure how.

haruspex said:
Also, there's an easier way. You can think of the swap as equivalent to a transfer of 15kg rightwards by 3.2m. Now you need to compute the distance leftwards the system as a whole has to move to compensate for that.

just wondering, does it mean the origin is still at x=0, but then now 75kg is acting at 3.2m, and 80kg at 1.6m ? So wouldn't the center of mass shift since the balance has changed?

cmkc109 said:
just wondering, does it mean the origin is still at x=0, but then now 75kg is acting at 3.2m, and 80kg at 1.6m ? So wouldn't the center of mass shift since the balance has changed?

I was thinking the same too!

Toranc3 said:
I was thinking the same too!
The first part is 1.488m

For the second part, I got 1.711m

75 (3.2) + 80 (1.6) /215kg
= 1.711 m

The boat moves 1.711 - 1.488 = 0.223m

I think I get it now,
the center of mass of the boat won't change, so after they switch location, the boat actually moves to compensate that change. It will move to the left according to Newton's third law. Since the person is exerting a forward force, the reaction force will be to the back, causing the boat to move leftwards

Last edited:
cmkc109 said:
The first part is 1.488m

= 1.711 m

I think I get it now,
the center of mass of the boat won't change, so after they switch location, the boat actually moves to compensate that change.

Yeah that is correct. It moves .223m towards the initial position of the 75kg person. Ok but from our zero, the center of mass moves then? However the distance from the two people to the center of mass remains the same?

cmkc109 said:
The first part is 1.488m

= 1.711 m

I think I get it now,
the center of mass of the boat won't change, so after they switch location, the boat actually moves to compensate that change. It will move to the left according to Newton's third law. Since the person is exerting a forward force, the reaction force will be to the back, causing the boat to move leftwards

Yo thanks for the help. I think I get it now.

Last edited:
How would this be done if you were to equate the original center of mass to your final values?

Toranc3 said:
Yeah that is correct. It moves .223m towards the initial position of the 75kg person. Ok but from our zero, the center of mass moves then? However the distance from the two people to the center of mass remains the same?
The center of mass only change if there is external force applied on the system. But here there is only a change in the balance, but the overall force is the same, so the CoM remains the same. From the calculation, you see we get an answer of 1.7m, but since the CoM remains the same, the system has to move back to 1.7 -1.4 to compensate the change.

Toranc3 said:
How would this be done if you were to equate the original center of mass to your final values?
not sure what are you asking

cmkc109 said:
The center of mass only change if there is external force applied on the system. But here there is only a change in the balance, but the overall force is the same, so the CoM remains the same. From the calculation, you see we get an answer of 1.7m, but since the CoM remains the same, the system has to move back to 1.7 -1.4 to compensate the change.

not sure what are you asking

Well originally I had this:

Since the center of mass doesn't change(1.49m)

1.49m= (x2f)m2+(x1f)m1+(xbf)mb/(215kg)

x2f=x2 final

Since the center of mass doesn't change couldn't this problem be done this way too? When I had this setup I got stuck.

cmkc109 said:
Sorry, I don't understand your question. My method says it's (75-60)*3.2/(75+60+80) = .2233m. 75-60kg moved right 3.2m, so to restore the overall COM the system as a whole, 6+75+80kg, has to move left .2233m.

A figure always helps. Let be the origin at the initial right edge of the boat, where the 60 kg man (the blue one) sits. The position of the cm is 1.71 m. When the men change positions, the green one is at Δx and the blue one is at 3.2+ Δx, and the centre of the boat is at 1.6+Δx.The cm stays at the same position: 75Δx + (1.6+Δx)80+(3.2+Δx)60=1.71(75+80+60)

ehild

Edit:If the 75 kg man sits at the left end the boat will move to the left.

Attachments

• twomanboat.JPG
    twomanboat.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,555
Last edited:
Lots of ways to think about this problem. Here's a way I like. Suppose you first calculate the location of the cm of the system relative to the center of the boat:

xc = [(75kg)(-1.6 m) + (60 kg)(+1.6 m) + (80 kg)(0)]/215 kg = -.1116 m.

So, the cm is initially 0.1116 m to the left of the center of the boat.

When the people switch places, clearly the cm will now be 0.1116 m to the right of the center of the boat.

To keep the center of mass from moving relative to the water, how far and in what direction must the boat move?

Attachments

• cm boat.jpg
    cm boat.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 2,613
Thanks for the help guys. I was originally trying to do ehilds method but going to the left. I got it now and understand it. I will certainly try your method too Tsny. THanks again!

Related to Two people on a boat(center of mass)

1. What is the center of mass in a two-person boat?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of the boat and its occupants is evenly distributed. It is the average location of all the mass in the boat, and is typically located near the middle of the boat.

2. How is the center of mass affected by the weight of the two people on the boat?

The center of mass is directly affected by the weight and position of the two people on the boat. If the two people are evenly distributed on either side of the boat, the center of mass will be in the middle. However, if one person is heavier than the other or if they are positioned unevenly, the center of mass will shift accordingly.

3. Why is the center of mass important in a two-person boat?

The center of mass is important because it determines the stability and balance of the boat. If the two people on the boat move too far away from the center of mass, the boat may become unbalanced and may even capsize.

4. How can the center of mass be calculated for a two-person boat?

The center of mass can be calculated by first finding the individual masses of the boat and the two people. Then, the distance of each individual's mass from the center of the boat is multiplied by their respective mass. These products are then added together and divided by the total mass of the boat and its occupants.

5. What factors can affect the center of mass in a two-person boat?

The center of mass in a two-person boat can be affected by various factors such as the weight and position of the two people, the shape and size of the boat, and external forces such as wind and waves. Any changes in these factors can cause the center of mass to shift, potentially affecting the stability of the boat.