Calculating Average Intensity of a laser blackboard pointer

In summary, the laser blackboard pointer delivers an average power of 0.10 mW in a 0.90 mm diameter beam. To find the average intensity, the formula used was ave s = p/4 pie r^2. However, the correct answer was not obtained, possibly due to using the wrong formula or value for r. In order to calculate the peak electric and magnetic fields, the average intensity is needed. The average intensity was found to be 160 W/m^2, and the formula used for part b was B^2 = ave. S *2* 4*pie*10^-7/ (3*10^8) = T.
patelpalak

Homework Statement

A laser blackboard pointer delevers 0.10-mW average power in a beam 0.90 mm in diameter.

Homework Equations

a) Find the average intensity.
b) Find the peak electric field.
c) Find the peak magnetic field.

The Attempt at a Solution

ok for part a) i used the formula ave. s = p/4 pie r^2 (as p=.10 mW and r=0.45 mm)
but i didnt get the right answer
so am i using the wrong formula or the wrong value for r?

for part (b) and (c) i can't do anythin bout it because i need the average intensity
in order to find the elecric and magnetic fields.

somebody plez help me asap...thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the power measured in the area of the beam?

Avg power = .1*10-3w / (3.14*(.45*10-3m)2) = ... w/m2

LowlyPion said:
Isn't the power measured in the area of the beam?

Avg power = .1*10-3w / (3.14*(.45*10-3m)2) = ... w/m2

is there 4 in the bottoom becuz isn't the
formula is ave s= p/4*pie*r^2 ?

patelpalak said:
is there 4 in the bottoom becuz isn't the
formula is ave s= p/4*pie*r^2 ?

That r is for distance isn't it?

This is a laser beam and I'd say dispersion is minimal, so you only want the cross section of the beam.

ok i got 160 W/m^2
thanx for the help!

hey i got part b
but have problem with part C

is this right?

B^2 = ave. S *2* 4*pie*10^-7/ (3*10^8) = T

Related to Calculating Average Intensity of a laser blackboard pointer

1. How do you calculate the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer?

To calculate the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer, you will need to measure the power output of the laser (in watts) and the area of the spot the laser creates on the blackboard. Then, divide the power output by the area to get the average intensity in watts per square meter.

2. Why is it important to calculate the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer?

Calculating the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer is important for several reasons. It allows you to understand the potential hazards associated with using the laser, such as eye damage or fire hazards. It also ensures that the laser is being used safely and within the recommended limits for the specific laser.

3. What factors can affect the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer?

Several factors can affect the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer, including the power output of the laser, the distance between the laser and the blackboard, and the focus of the laser beam. Other factors may include the type of surface the laser is being projected onto and any obstructions that may interfere with the laser beam.

4. How can you ensure the accuracy of your calculations for the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer?

To ensure the accuracy of your calculations, it is important to use precise and calibrated measuring equipment, such as a power meter and a laser power density meter. It is also crucial to follow the correct procedure for measuring the power output and spot size of the laser. It may be helpful to double-check your calculations with a colleague or supervisor.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when calculating the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the average intensity of a laser blackboard pointer. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses, to protect your eyes from the laser. It is also crucial to follow any safety guidelines and protocols set by your institution or organization. If you are unsure about the safety procedures, it is best to consult with a supervisor or expert.