Calculating Power Dissipation for a High Power Laser in Manufacturing

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of high power lasers in factories and how to calculate the power dissipated by a laser with a beam diameter of 1.5mm and an electric field amplitude of .854MV/m at the target. The correct calculation involves using the formula for intensity (S = c(permeability of free space)E^2) and the area of a circle (A = πr^2). The final answer is approximately 1710.59 W.
akmphy

Homework Statement

High power lasers in factories are used to cut through cloth and metal. One such laser has a beam diameter of 1.5mm and generates an electric field at the target having an amplitude of .854MV/m.
speed of light= 3.0e8 m/s
permeability of free space is 4pi x 10-7 TN/A
What is the power dissipated?

Homework Equations

P=SA
S= c(permeability of free space)E^2
Erms= 1/sqrt2(E)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for the magnetic field, B= E/c, and got .002849T(this is correct).
I then solved for intensity, S, by calculating the R and B rms, and then using, S= c(permeability of free space)E^2. I got 9.6817e8 (this was correct).
I then calculated the power by using P= SA, and I got 6843.59 W.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If your S is 9.68 x 108 W/m2 and your beam area 1.5mm square, then your power should be in the neighborhood of 2200W. Check your area conversion perhaps?

So, S, intensity is 9.68e8, and the beam diameter is 0.0015m:
P = AS
= [(4pi)(.0015)^2][ S]
= 27369.55 W
I tried this one and it was wrong.
I tried dividing the diameter by two to get the radius:
P= AS
= [4pi (7.5e-4)^2]
= I got 6842.39
This was wrong.
I tried the area of a square, and not a circle shaped beam:
= .0015^2
= I got 2178W
Not correct.
Please help me with this. I already submitted the homework, but this is driving me crazy.
Thanks.

Last edited:
For a circular cross section, the area would be πr2, or π(D/2)2, no? Where is your factor of 4π coming from?

gneill said:
For a circular cross section, the area would be πr2, or π(D/2)2, no? Where is your factor of 4π coming from?

I was approaching the laser like an imaginary sphere, so I think I was using the formula of 4pir^2. So, a cross sectional area...just an area of a circle?
P= 9.68e8 (.0015/2)2(pi)
I get 1710.59 W.
I already turned it in; is this the correct answer?
Thanks for your help

akmphy said:
I was approaching the laser like an imaginary sphere, so I think I was using the formula of 4pir^2. So, a cross sectional area...just an area of a circle?
P= 9.68e8 (.0015/2)2(pi)
I get 1710.59 W.
I already turned it in; is this the correct answer?
Thanks for your help

Sorry, I don't know for sure. But it "feels right" to me.

gneill said:
Sorry, I don't know for sure. But it "feels right" to me.

Thank you so much. I think it is right,too.

Related to Calculating Power Dissipation for a High Power Laser in Manufacturing

1. What is power dissipation in a laser?

Power dissipation in a laser refers to the amount of energy that is lost or converted into heat as the laser operates. This is typically measured in watts (W) and can affect the efficiency and performance of the laser.

2. How is power dissipated in a laser?

Power dissipation in a laser occurs due to several factors, including the properties of the laser gain medium, the quality of the optical components, and the cooling system. Some energy is also lost through scattering and absorption within the laser cavity.

3. Why is power dissipation important in lasers?

Power dissipation is important in lasers because it can affect the overall performance and lifetime of the laser. Excessive heat buildup can damage the laser components and decrease its efficiency, leading to a shorter lifespan and reduced output power.

4. How can power dissipation be reduced in lasers?

There are several ways to reduce power dissipation in lasers, such as using higher quality optical components, optimizing the cooling system, and improving the design of the laser cavity. Choosing a more efficient laser gain medium and operating the laser at lower power levels can also help reduce power dissipation.

5. Can the power dissipation of a laser be measured?

Yes, the power dissipation of a laser can be measured using a variety of techniques, including thermal imaging, calorimetry, and spectroscopy. These methods can provide valuable information about the laser's efficiency and help identify areas for improvement in reducing power dissipation.