Calculating Electric and Magnetic Field amplitude

In summary: I denoted the period as ##T##, in particular I also expressed it in terms of...It's 3.2 seconds.It's 3.2 seconds.
gsmtiger18

Homework Statement

A circular uniform laser beam has a power of P = 3.2 mW and a diameter of d = 8.5 mm. The beam is a form of electromagnetic raditation with both electric and magnetic field components.
(a) Calculate the intensity of the beam in units of W/m^2
(b) Calculate the energy (delta U) delivered in a time of t = .065 s in Joules.
(c) Use the intensity of the beam (I) to calculate the amplitude of the electric field in V/m
(d) The amplitudes of the electric and magnetic fields have a fixed relationship. Based on that relationship use the result of part (c) to calculate the amplitude of the magnetic field (B) in Tesla.I know that the power is P = 3.2 mW, and the diameter is d = 8.5 mm. From this I calculated intensity of the beam, so part (a) is complete. I can multiply that by time to get energy, so part (b) is complete as well. Where I'm running into a problem is somehow finding the electric field without knowing anything but the intensity and the energy in a small window of time. Typical calculations for electric potential energy haven't worked at all.

Homework Equations

delta U = Pt
I = P/A
A = pi*r^2
That's about all I know. Our professor left us totally on our own to learn this material.

The Attempt at a Solution

All I've managed is to calculate the delivered energy in a small window of time and the intensity of the beam.

Physics news on Phys.org
gsmtiger18 said:
(c) Use the intensity of the beam (I) to calculate the amplitude of the electric field in V/m
The intensity of a plane monochromatic wave is defined as the time average of Poynting vector. Do you the formula of Poynting vector?

S = 1/μ0E x B

However, how is this usable if I don't know both E and B?

gsmtiger18 said:
S = 1/μ0E x B

Good, now realize that ##S=|\mathbf{S}|## is a function of time. While, as I said in my previous post that the intensity is the time average of ##S## over one period of the wave,
$$
I = \langle S(t) \rangle_t
$$
So, first find out the how ##S## (the magnitude of ##\mathbf{S}##) looks like for a plane wave. (Note: you will also need to employ certain relation between the magnitude of the fields for a plane wave, with which you will solve part d)). Assume the electric field to have the form ##\mathbf{E} = \hat{x}E_0 \sin(\omega t - kz)##, employ Maxwell equations to find the corresponding ##\mathbf{B}##.

Last edited:
gsmtiger18 said:
Typical calculations for electric potential energy haven't worked at all.
There are no charges involved here, so there's no potential energy you can calculate.

gsmtiger18 said:
The magnitudes of the E and B fields are related.

vela said:
The magnitudes of the E and B fields are related.

That's what I keep finding in my text resources, but it's never elaborated, simply stated.

blue_leaf77 said:
So, first find out the how SSS (the magnitude of SS\mathbf{S}) looks like for a plane wave.

Would I be able to say that Em/c = Bm?

gsmtiger18 said:
Would I be able to say that Em/c = Bm?
That's correct, and I hope you know how to prove it, for which purpose the last sentence in part #4 was written.
So, now how does ##S## looks like in terms of ##E_m##?

I really have no idea how to prove the relationship I stated above, but in terms of Em, S = (1/μ0c) Em2

gsmtiger18 said:
I really have no idea how to prove the relationship I stated above
As the first step, follow what I wrote as the last sentence in post #4.
gsmtiger18 said:
S = (1/μ0c) Em2
Not really, you miss the time dependent behavior there. Look, the fields you have are
$$
\mathbf{E} = \hat{x}E_m \sin(\omega t -kz) \\
\mathbf{B} = \hat{y}\frac{E_m}{c} \sin(\omega t -kz)
$$
Plug in these equations into ##\mathbf{S} = \frac{1}{\mu_0} \mathbf{E} \times \mathbf{B}##.

S = (1/μ0c)Em2sin2(ωt - kz)

gsmtiger18 said:
S = (1/μ0c)Em2sin2(ωt - kz)
Yes, now take the time average of this function over one period ##T=2\pi/\omega##.

What do I use for ω and z?

gsmtiger18 said:
What do I use for ω and z?
##\omega## is used in relation to the period, while ##z## is actually irrelevant for the present calculation but it was introduced in order to make the expression for the field waves make sense, i.e. they represent propagating waves.

I don't know the period.

gsmtiger18 said:
I don't know the period.
Look it up in one of the previous posts of mine.

You've lost me.

I denoted the period as ##T##, in particular I also expressed it in terms of ##\omega##.

So I can set ω = T/2π. Now what?

gsmtiger18 said:
ω = T/2π
No, the right hand side should be the reciprocal of that one above.
gsmtiger18 said:
Now what?
What did I say in post #11?

So I'd take the time average from 0 to T = 2π/ω?

gsmtiger18 said:
So I'd take the time average from 0 to T = 2π/ω?
Yes.

When I take that integral, would I include k as part of the sin2(ωt-kz) statement, since z is disregarded?

gsmtiger18 said:
When I take that integral, would I include k as part of the sin2(ωt-kz) statement, since z is disregarded?
Do you mean the kz part in the argument of sine must be retained during the integral? Of course yes, it should be retained. Upon doing the integral, you should see that in the final result, the dependence on z (or k) is absence. Just compute the integral for now.

Likes kamaljit
This is a very interesting ques to me...we just had a class on this ☺

Related to Calculating Electric and Magnetic Field amplitude

1. How do you calculate the amplitude of an electric field?

The amplitude of an electric field can be calculated by finding the maximum displacement of the electric field vector from its equilibrium position. This can be done by using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field amplitude, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge producing the field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the field is being measured.

2. What factors affect the amplitude of an electric field?

The amplitude of an electric field can be affected by the distance from the source of the field, the magnitude of the charge producing the field, and the dielectric constant of the medium through which the field is passing.

3. How do you calculate the amplitude of a magnetic field?

The amplitude of a magnetic field can be calculated by using the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field amplitude, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current producing the field, and r is the distance from the current to the point where the field is being measured.

4. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic field amplitudes?

Electric and magnetic fields are interrelated and can interact with each other. The strength and direction of a magnetic field can be affected by the presence of an electric field, and vice versa. However, the amplitude of an electric field is typically much larger than that of a magnetic field.

5. How can you calculate the total amplitude of a combined electric and magnetic field?

The total amplitude of a combined electric and magnetic field can be calculated by using the superposition principle, which states that the total field at a point is the vector sum of the individual fields at that point. This means that the total amplitude can be found by adding the electric field amplitude and the magnetic field amplitude at that point.