Calculating Artificial Gravity for Different Radii on a Space Station

In summary, the conversation discusses a space station composed of two concentric circles with known radii and gravitational acceleration for the outer circle. The goal is to calculate the gravitational acceleration for the inner circle, and the conversation explores different equations and assumptions that can be used to solve the problem. Ultimately, it is determined that the radii are different because the problem is testing the understanding of the relationship between angular velocity, radius, and centripetal acceleration. The final answer is 0.82 m/s^2.
blumfeld0
a space station is composed of 2 concentric circles. the inner circe has diameter 5km(r=2.5 km) and the outer has a diameter 10 km (r=5km). g= 1.64 m/s^2 for the outer circle and i need g for the inner circle

i know g = G *M/r^2
so perhaps i can calculate M?
1.64 = 6.67E-11 * M/5000^2

so M= 6.1E17 kg for the whole planet.

but how do i calcaulte g only for the inner radius since the mass contained in the inner radius is unknown.
thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. You successfully found an equation that contains some of the variables you're interested in. That alone isn't physics.

You calculated the mass of a 10km diameter planet with a particular surface-gravity value.

Then you calculated what that planet's surface-gravity would be if it collapsed to half its previous diameter.

But is mass what causes the apparent gravity on your space-station?

obviously its wrong but its all i got. so i calculated the mass of the whole planet. but obviously the mass contained within the inner circle is different. so what do i do?

Last edited:
I am confused by your question. Is it a space station, or a planet? is the space station in space? on a planet? is it rotating? are you calculating gravity caused by a planet? or by the space station?

hello. well in the question there is nothing at all about rotation which is confusing because i thought we needed rotation for artificial gravity. we do not know the mass of the space station.
all i have is a space station made of two concentric circles. i have radius of the inner circle (2500 meters) and the radius of the outer circle (5000 meters)
lastly i know the gravitational acceleration of the outer circle (1.64 m/s^2) which is equivalent to the moons gravitation acceleration.
i need the graviational acceleration (artifcial gravity) of the inner circle.
there is absolutely no other information given in the question.
but yeah i assume the space station is orbiting something in space.

thank you

anybody? any ideas?

If I clearly understand the problem, maybe I can help.

So, is there a diagram associated with the problem? what is the space station's position in relation with the object that is causing the gravitational pull? can I assume that the gravity is constant alone the circles?

if the space station wraps around a planet symmetrically, then you can simply apply the ratio of inverse r^2.

or, if the space station is rotating, then you can apply the centrifugal force in non-inertial frame.
the equation is:F=omega^2*r
(assuming that omega vector is orthogonal to the r vector)

Last edited:
how do i calcaulte g only for the inner radius since the mass contained in the inner radius is unknown.
You don't need the mass. Think about centripetal acceleration.

I think that the question has a space station spinning by itself in space. The outside ring has a different centripetal acceleration than the inside ring.

Saketh said:
You don't need the mass. Think about centripetal acceleration.

I think that the question has a space station spinning by itself in space. The outside ring has a different centripetal acceleration than the inside ring.

The interesting part of this question is that it doesn't even need to tell you if this "gravity" is caused by gravity or by it being a giant centrifuge.
The answer is probably 0.41m/s^2

The entire question is depending on radius because everything else stays constant.
tim said:
or, if the space station is rotating, then you can apply the centrifugal force in non-inertial frame.
the equation is:F=omega^2*r
Replace the "F" with "a". This raises a good point though, you need to use the formula as omega^2 and r, not as v^2 and r. V changes depending on radius, while omega is not related to radius.

Last edited:
i think i got it
a=g = v^2/r = .82 m/s^2
because v^2 = 1.64 * 2500 = g r
r= 5000 m

i don't really understand why the r's are different? any ideas?thanks

blumfeld0 said:
i think i got it
a=g = v^2/r = .82 m/s^2
because v^2 = 1.64 * 2500 = g r
r= 5000 m

i don't really understand why the r's are different? any ideas?

thanks

The radii are different becaue the author of the problem wants you to demonstrate your understanding of how centripetal force depends on radius at a constant angular velocity. (You must make the reasonable assumption that the whole station rotates at one angular velocity to do the problem.) The magnitudes of the g values in the problem are the centripetal accelerations at the two different radii; one is given to establish the angular velocity of the station, which is then used to find the accleration at the second radius. You need not actually compute the angular velocity if you set up a proportion based on the relationship between angular velocity, radius, and centripetal acceleration.

Related to Calculating Artificial Gravity for Different Radii on a Space Station

1. What is artificial gravity?

Artificial gravity is a concept used in science fiction and space exploration that refers to the creation of a gravitational force without the presence of a natural gravity source, such as the Earth. It is created through the use of centrifugal force or acceleration.

2. Why is artificial gravity important?

Artificial gravity is important for long-term space flights, such as missions to Mars, as it can help prevent the negative effects of microgravity on the human body. It can also make living and working in space more comfortable and familiar to humans.

3. How is artificial gravity created?

Artificial gravity can be created in two ways: through centrifugal force or acceleration. In centrifugal force, a rotating object creates a force that mimics gravity. In acceleration, an object is accelerated at a constant rate, creating a sensation of gravity.

4. What are the challenges of creating artificial gravity?

One of the main challenges of creating artificial gravity is finding a way to generate enough force to mimic Earth's gravity. This requires a large and powerful centrifuge or acceleration system. Another challenge is minimizing the potential negative effects of artificial gravity on the human body, such as motion sickness.

5. Can artificial gravity be used on Earth?

Yes, artificial gravity can be used on Earth in situations where there is a need for simulated gravity, such as in space simulators or for training astronauts. However, it is not currently feasible to create artificial gravity on a large scale for everyday use on Earth.